iPad Verizon iPad Air 2 sim card...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sboychuck, Oct 17, 2014.

1. sboychuck macrumors regular

So, I bought two of them off the Apple App Store and from what I have been reading, I need to contact Verizon to get a sim card to make it work? For some reason Verizon is the ONLY cell carrier who you need to do this with. The others will work with the sim card installed by Apple. If anyone has any different info. please let me know. It says I should have both of them by this time next week. I am on the west coast and the Verizon Stores are just waking up and have no clue yet. Thanks in advance.

2. veryangrybirds macrumors regular

you are correct

Based on the literature Apple released on that new Sim, Verizon is the only carrier you need to ask for a SIM from your local store.

3. mrgossett macrumors 6502

I just bought an Air 2 Cellular also. I've had a Mini Verizon Cellular that I'm selling, so I've taken out the sim card from it, and hope to just be able to pop it in the new Air and set it up. But if you don't have a Verizon sim card, I guess you would need to get one from a store.

4. sboychuck thread starter macrumors regular

5. Greenstein macrumors member

This is my first cellular iPad. Do I have to wait to get the iPad and then take it to Verizon to get a Verizon SIM card, or can I go into a Verizon store, ahead of the iPad Air 2 release, get a Verizon SIM card so that when the iPad does get delivered, I don't have to go back into a Verizon store?

Thanks.

6. sboychuck thread starter macrumors regular

I am not too sure. I am on the west coast and Verizon is saying once I have it to come in. If they try and charge me for a sim card, I may explode. They have tried this with friends, but this is a bit different. If you bring your device to Verizon (BYOD) you should get some discounts. We will have to see what happens. You do not need to activate it upon receiving. I use it very little out in the wild. Mostly use it at home on Wi-Fi. It is good to have a cell connection for the kids on trips and such for Netflix. If you find out something different, keep us updated. Thanks...

7. Greenstein macrumors member

Ok, I just spoke to a Verizon sales rep (Verizon is now accepting pre-orders, but I pre-ordered mine through Apple)...he said that you can go in ahead of time and get a Verizon SIM card so that once your iPad Air 2 is delivered, you just pop out the Apple SIM (and keep it presumably) and pop in the Verizon SIM and you should be good to go.

He said the Verizon SIM card is free.

Now, again, this is my first time dealing with a cellular iPad, SIM cards, etc. So, I'll likely head to the Verizon store and get my SIM card early next week ahead of the delivery.

8. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

To further clarify, it's free at a corporate owned store. Most non corporate stores charge $10 for a SIM.