Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afawcett

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
San Diego
I bought a 16 GB iPad Air from Target during their black Friday sale. I got the Verizon model because they were out of T-Mobile and ATT. I put in my T-Mobile sim card and my iPad will try to connect and then say "No Service". The same thing happens when I take my ATT sim card from my phone or from my old iPad. What gives? I thought these were unlocked.

Any sugguestions?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
They are unlocked, so that won't be it.

With AT&T, when I put a fresh SIM in my Verizon rMini I showed no service until I put it on wifi and went to settings->CellularData->ViewAccount to set up an account (actually transferred the account from my Verizon ipad3)

With T-Mobile I had no issues, it connected up fine. I used a fresh SIM. Are you sure you have coverage and was the SIM fresh? I read here that T-Mobile blocks using a SIM in an ipad if had been set up in a phone (people abusing the $30/100min/5GB phone plan).

Good luck

Last edited:

fanchee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
I'm using my Verizon iPad rMini with a t-mobile sim. Works great.

I do recall turning wifi off to set it up, though.

Last edited:

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
I'm using my Verizon iPad rMini with a t-mobile sim. Works great.

I do recall turning wifi off to set it up, though.

Yes I have a Verizon iPad rMini as well.

Works fine with T-Mobile and AT&T.

The T-Mobile SIM had to be activated with WiFi off but oddly enough the AT&T SIM needed WiFi on to activate it.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
My VZW iPad is working fine on AT&T. I found:

A) Had to power off/on with NEW FRESH AT&T SIM installed first so it would download proper cell data.

B) Had to be on wi-fi to activate.

afawcett

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
San Diego
... I can't believe all it took was a reset. I'm embarrassed at how frustrated I was getting. Also, I had to turn off the wifi once it recognized the T-Mobile SIM. Thanks everyone!

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Yeah, gotta power off... Easy to forget the little details. No worries, glad you got it working! :)

OCJeff

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2010
If it was locked it would say "Invalid SIM". So that wouldn't have been the issue (adding for future searches).

jsd79

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2013
Does anyone know if a TMO sim would work in a first gen VZW iPad mini running iOS 6? I got one for my wife, and after installing the sim, turning off wifi, powering down and back up, etc., it shows a 3G connection to TMO, but there's no "View Account" button in the Cellular settings and I can't get past the first screen on TMO's mobile broadband website. Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.