Carrier Verizon iPad Air not working on ATT or T-Mobile

Discussion in 'iPad' started by afawcett, Dec 5, 2013.

1. afawcett macrumors regular

I bought a 16 GB iPad Air from Target during their black Friday sale. I got the Verizon model because they were out of T-Mobile and ATT. I put in my T-Mobile sim card and my iPad will try to connect and then say "No Service". The same thing happens when I take my ATT sim card from my phone or from my old iPad. What gives? I thought these were unlocked.

Any sugguestions?

2. deeddawg, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013

deeddawg macrumors 604

They are unlocked, so that won't be it.

With AT&T, when I put a fresh SIM in my Verizon rMini I showed no service until I put it on wifi and went to settings->CellularData->ViewAccount to set up an account (actually transferred the account from my Verizon ipad3)

With T-Mobile I had no issues, it connected up fine. I used a fresh SIM. Are you sure you have coverage and was the SIM fresh? I read here that T-Mobile blocks using a SIM in an ipad if had been set up in a phone (people abusing the $30/100min/5GB phone plan).

Good luck

3. fanchee, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013

fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

I'm using my Verizon iPad rMini with a t-mobile sim. Works great.

I do recall turning wifi off to set it up, though.

4. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Yes I have a Verizon iPad rMini as well.

Works fine with T-Mobile and AT&T.

The T-Mobile SIM had to be activated with WiFi off but oddly enough the AT&T SIM needed WiFi on to activate it.

5. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

My VZW iPad is working fine on AT&T. I found:

A) Had to power off/on with NEW FRESH AT&T SIM installed first so it would download proper cell data.

B) Had to be on wi-fi to activate.

6. afawcett thread starter macrumors regular

... I can't believe all it took was a reset. I'm embarrassed at how frustrated I was getting. Also, I had to turn off the wifi once it recognized the T-Mobile SIM. Thanks everyone!

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yeah, gotta power off... Easy to forget the little details. No worries, glad you got it working! :)

8. OCJeff macrumors regular

If it was locked it would say "Invalid SIM". So that wouldn't have been the issue (adding for future searches).

9. jsd79 macrumors member

Does anyone know if a TMO sim would work in a first gen VZW iPad mini running iOS 6? I got one for my wife, and after installing the sim, turning off wifi, powering down and back up, etc., it shows a 3G connection to TMO, but there's no "View Account" button in the Cellular settings and I can't get past the first screen on TMO's mobile broadband website. Any ideas?