Verizon iPad and data roaming?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by zinka, Mar 24, 2011.

1. zinka macrumors regular

I noticed my new Verizon iPad came with Data Roaming defaulting to off. What does this mean?

If I'm somewhere in the US that doesn't have Verizon coverage but does have roaming coverage, is that data usage included in my Verizon plan? If so, why would I want to turn roaming off?

And outside the US, I assume any data there wouldn't work on my plan anyway, so it shouldn't matter whether roaming is on or off.

What am I missing?

2. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

Turning the roaming off is one way of making sure you don't get charged extra fees. Usually roaming is not covered by your data plan as I understand it. Personally I am going to go with a pay as you go plan rather than do a contract for the ipad in addition to my phone. Am usually within a wi-fi range the majority of the time so getting a 3G plan when I travel is a cheaper way for me to go. I like having the option to turn the 3G and roaming off.

3. zinka thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think there are any contract plans for iPad, so everything is pay-as-you-go. As such, what difference does roaming make? It's not like they can charge you extra on a prepaid plan, right?