Verizon iPad not sealed

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DeChrii, Mar 26, 2011.

1. DeChrii macrumors member

So when I heard about the iPads being only 299-499, I felt like it was a good time to jump on one. I told my dad to go pick it up, but when I got home I saw that the box was already unsealed and I asked him if he unboxed it or if it came unsealed. He told me it was like that from the Verizon store. Does this mean the product was returned? Refurbished? Or new, but the Verizon people unsealed it. This is the wifi only 32g iPad1. Thanks

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I don't mean for my response to come across as a douchebag remark, but why don't you contact the Verizon store and ask them?

3. Fireworld macrumors member

Looks like your daddy pulled a fast one on ya and bought it used.
    Call the Verizon store and ask.

4. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

Your complaining your dad bought you an iPad and it was open?

5. DeChrii thread starter macrumors member

I'll call Verizon when they open. I was at work and my dad was close by a verizon store which is why I told him to pick it up. Of course I payed for it. Just to clear that part up.

6. jenlevin macrumors regular

7. JonCh101 macrumors newbie

I took back my non 3G iPad 2 and exchanged it for a 3G version at best buy. As soon as I handed it over the counter the girl called the computer department and told them they had an iPad 2 in stock. Seems they are immediately reselling returned iPad 2 due to demand. Maybe that's the case with yours

8. robertk328 macrumors regular

robertk328

same. they didn't even turn it on/check it. I restored it to the "connect to iTunes" screen and everything but they didn't look.

9. DeChrii thread starter macrumors member

Updating, I called Verizon right when it opened and asked if all their iPads were sealed and they said yes. Then I told them my situation and they said they showed customers the product which sounds kind of silly and that's why it was unsealed. The iPad itself was still in it's plastic with the adhesive non broken, and so far using it is good. 33% off at $399 even if it was used isn't that bad :p thanks for the quick responses!

10. MarkMissoula macrumors member

I got the $299 Ipad at Verizon a few days ago, and he opened it and powered it up before he gave it to me. I asked what the heck, and he said they had to do this to make sure its not DOA. I just assumed all the Verizon's do this.

11. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

I got a 16GB first gen at VZW on Thursday and he just handed it over to me. Never took it out of the wrap at all. Had he cut into it, I would have walked out.

12. machomer macrumors regular

I went into a store and the sales rep said they were sold out the day they had the sale. He said one guy came in and snatched up 8 of them. 16BG wifi ipad 1.

Don't think they opened all 8 up to check if DOA. :p

13. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I purchased a 16gb last week at Verizon for 299. The guy opened up my box. Told him I didn't want him to, wanted to open it myself. He said it was store policy and had to open it. I didn't really fight it since it was soo cheap and I'm keeping it anyway.

14. bustinloose82 macrumors newbie

I am not sure why they are telling you it is policy. That is definitely not a corporate wide thing. I work in a corporate verizon retail store and we unbrick the iPads for customers as a courtesy. If they ask us not to and wish to unbrick it themselves or are giving it away as a gift, we will leave it sealed.

15. penfan82 macrumors regular

Got one yesterday actually rep took the plastic off in front of me and actually made sure it powered up and put my screen protector on

16. princealyy macrumors regular

It was probably new. I tried to buy a used iPad from verizon (the display) and the guy told me they can't see them.

They opened the case so you can't return it. I got 2 32 gb ipads and they were both sealed but I can see why they open them so if you do try to return there is a restocking fee involved.

17. mrholder macrumors regular

I bought a 32 gig 1st gen last night for $399. The guy started taking the plastic off and opening the box. It irked me a little, but since I got such a good deal, I didn't say anything.

18. mrholder macrumors regular

Bingo. They've probably made a killing from the $70 restocking fee. People impulse buy and then decide to take one of the Verizon tablets back. The receipt says all of their tablets are subject to the restocking fee.