iPad Verizon iPad on T-Mobile?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Squilly, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

I'm sure this has been asked before but AT&T's iPad's seem to be out of stock everywhere online. I saw Verizon was available and I'm wondering that, if I pop in a T-Mobile SIM card (which I have), would it work with T-Mobile and their 200MB free plan?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

For everything but the 128GB AT&T, store.apple.com says ships in 24 hours and most Apple stores in my area show in-stock for pickup today.

3. Dan-- macrumors regular

I reportedly works. See this post: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=18304478&postcount=94 in this thread.

4. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

5. Dan-- macrumors regular

It is suspected, but there is a little doubt whether everything will mix and match with SIM card and work under all circumstances. Some specific examples have been tried. See that thread for details.

In particular, it may be difficult to come by a Verizon SIM, except via eBay, or a Sprint SIM. Seems like AT&T and T-mob should be fine though.

6. eg2007 macrumors 6502

I bought a Verizon iPad Air. Asked the Apple rep for a T-Mobile SIM. Popped out the Verizon and set up the iPad Air with the T-Mobile SIM. Worked perfectly.

7. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

8. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

I, too, have a Verizon iPad Air running on the free 200MB/month T-Mobile plan. I get LTE speeds at home and work, haven't tried anywhere else yet.

9. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

I thought verizon SIM cards are free?

10. enjoimorenow macrumors newbie

What are you considering LTE speeds?

I have compared tmo and verizon speeds

Tmo: 7 down, less than 1 up

Verizon 45 down, around 7 up.

I mean, tmo is cool for free data, but it is hardly comparing to LTE speeds on Verizon. At least in my area. I would rather just continue to pay $10 for my iPad to access my shared data plan on verizon than try to limit my usage to 200mb at slower speeds just to save $10.

11. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

I don't think Verizon is very happy about giving them out. From what I understand, it doesn't even matter due to the fact that since it's CDMA and IMEI based, the iPad won't just run on the Verizon network due to the fact that the iPad's IMEI number has to be on a "whitelist" (so to speak) with Verizon before it will function.

This is a downside to CDMA. I believe the SIM, in this case, just points the device to the correct frequencies. I may be wrong on this, but it's more complicated than just popping in a SIM card with CDMA carriers. That is basically why it is more advantageous to get a Verizon or Sprint model and pop in the SIM of the GSM carrier of your choice, then you can fall back to VZW without any additional effort because the device supported VZW out of the box.