Verizon iPad tethering...on new iPad only or iPad 2 as well?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dmk1974, Mar 12, 2012.

1. dmk1974 macrumors 68020

dmk1974

Just curious if Verizon will be allowing the tethering capability on the 3G iPad 2 as well. Thanks!

2. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

3. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

So if I have verizon plan on my iphone, I can tether it to my ipad for free (3rd generation)???

Do I have to buy verizon ipad to do this or can I just buy the wifi one and jailbreak it???

4. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

No, you can tether a device to your Verizon iPad's data connection.
    Obviously you need a Verizon iPad because it needs a data service.

5. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

ok but I don't have to pay monthly fee b/c I'm relying on iphones connection, right?

6. Mark Booth macrumors 68000

Mark Booth

No, NOT right.

The new iPad ("iPad 3") can become a WiFi hotspot (Mobile Hotspot) and then other devices (such as a smartphone, laptop computer, or other tablet) can use the new iPad's connection to the internet wirelessly through WiFi. To do that, you MUST be paying for a data connection from your new iPad to the internet.

I spoke with Verizon reps and AT&T reps about this today. The Verizon rep confirmed that the new iPad's mobile hotspot feature will be available (for no additional charge) on all of their pre-paid iPad data plans. The AT&T rep said he believed the new iPad's mobile hotspot feature would ONLY be available if you pay for the 5GB for $50 plan (he said it's 3GB for $30 PLUS $20 to tether with an additional 2GB, so, 5GB total for $50).

Mark

7. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

When the AT&T rep says "I believe" or "I think" that means no lol

8. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

oh this isn't that convenient lol. B/c people obviously have 3g or 4g network on your phone and then it would nice not to have to pay for monthly on your ipad also.

well not getting 4g on new ipad now.