Verizon iPad users?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by econoar, Mar 23, 2011.

1. econoar macrumors regular

Have you been happy with the Verizon iPad speeds and signal so far? I bought an AT&T iPad 2, mainly for my daily train commute from Boston to Providence and back. I've had MAJOR connection issues on that commute so far, despite AT&T's coverage map saying there are no gaps. I get data signal on about 30% of the ride. It's very frustrating. I'm going to be returning it to Best Buy tomorrow and waiting it out for a Verizon one.

Thoughts?

2. Steelers7510 macrumors 6502

Steelers7510

Verizon coverage is rock solid in that area. Good choice!

3. Ctguy macrumors member

my verizon ipad is so slow; watching youtube videos takes forever. I got 0.66Mbps on verizon 3G download speed.

4. raef203 macrumors newbie

What's the cost to use Verizon for the Ipad per month?

5. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

1GB $20
    3GB $35
    5GB $50
    10GB $80

I'm trying the 1GB plan right now. I switched from AT&T to Verizon due to coverage. It may be slower but I seem to be able to get data in places where AT&T is dead. If you're not downloading huge files over 3G you will barely notice the raw speed difference, IMO.

6. raef203 macrumors newbie

Wow, that can get really pricey--has anyone tried putting their phone next to the Ipad to pick up service? I have been told that works?

7. FBCMoyock macrumors newbie

Verizon offered my a free MiFi with my 3g iPad. You have to do the 2 yr contract, but if you are going to use it every month, that shouldn't matter. With the MiFi, I can also connect other devices.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

As a motorcyclist, picking the Verizon iPad was a no-brainer. When I ride or camp I'm never close to a city and I always have 3G coverage.

9. jredecop macrumors 6502a

My Verizon iPad loads web pages faster than AT&T iPads..and on speed test the AT&T speed kills me, I don't understand it. Plus I have 3G everywhere!!

10. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Why anyone would buy an AT&T iPad2 with all of AT&T's known network issues is beyond me, unless you know that Verizon has NO service in your area. AT&T has always boasted speed (not mentioning that the speed is zero when there's no service). Verizon has always boasted reliability (and gets rated the best as such constantly). That's the choice you have to make BEFORE you buy.

11. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I think the activation issues with Verizon have scared some people away. There are hopefully a lot of Verizon iPad 2 owners who don't post because they have no problems. Was everyone here able to activate theirs?

12. thompson11 macrumors member

Activated mine and had 3G service about 45 seconds after hitting submit.

13. Spyharpy macrumors member

Spyharpy

I currently have an original iPad 3G 64GB and used AT&T for only one month. Service was good in my area. With the new tiered pricing model, I find great disparity between the plans. You have a choice of a paltry 200MB with the next jump to 2GB. For me 200MB is too little and 2GB too much. Something in between should be available at the appropriate pricing level between the two plans. Verizon's plans with the 1GB, 2GB and 3GB choices are more evenly distributed and priced right. I'll get an iPad 2 but this time I'm going with Verizon.

14. CIA macrumors 6502a

For those of us who live where AT&T isn't congested, it works great. If I lived in a major city or urban center (I.E. most of the US east coast) I would probably go Verizon. Next year will be interesting if the T-Mobile merger goes through. See how much the added T-Mobile capacity helps out AT&T (and hurts T-Mobile customers).

15. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Shocking that Verizon had activation issues. AT&T never has those on opening days! :D

16. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Had no issues activating 3G on my Verizon iPad. Smooth process exactly like the AT&T iPad.

Here's one thing that caught my eye when reading the fine print:

"Coverage is NOT available in the Extended 1X/3G Data Coverage Area."

17. slopokdave macrumors member

I have a 32gb Verizon.... But haven't even activated it yet. I don't know if I will though. I have been using my Evo to tether 4g when traveling for the past 2 weeks and it's worked great.

So in turn, if I can exchange it for a 32gb wifi between today and Saturday I may.

To me if I am going to use it, from the iPad, it would be a "work emergency case." I would rather have reliability over speed....

18. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

i'm not living in the US so apologize my dumbness. but did i understand it right that you can't sell you verizon ipad unless the buyer dosen't use the 3g?
    so that the ipad is tied to the individual due to the lack of a sim card slot.
    or can you transfer the ipad to another verizon customer or something. how does the whole CDMA thing work in the first place?

19. Kevinm78 macrumors newbie

My Verizon iPad is so slow it is unusable

I was having so much trouble finding a wifi iPad 2 that I finally bought what I could find - a Verizon IPad 2. Man, am I sorry I did.

The speed is so slow it is unusable. I ran speed test and the fastest speed was .44 mps. I compared that using the iPad with my AT&T iPhone hotspot that tested over 2 mps -about five times faster. I'm going to try to return it tomorrow, but I bought it from Best Buy. I wish I had held out for Apple.

20. Janet1 macrumors member

I don't think that's true. Before you sell it, all you have to do is cancel the month-to-month 3G data plan with Verizon and then reset the iPad completely, erasing all content and settings. It would then be up to them whether they wish to pay for Verizon's 3G service, which is all on a month-to-month basis anyway.

21. Kevinm78 macrumors newbie

I can confirm that - I just spoke with Verizon.

BTW, I asked about their data speeds, wondering of something is wrong with my new iPad. They said their speeds are between .6mps and 1.4mps typically - about half the speed of my AT&T iPhone (and using the iPhone as a wireless hotspot).

I wish I could get my money back.

22. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

AT&T is just fine where I live and work. And has gotten better in the last 6 months actually.