Verizon iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PracticalMac, Jan 11, 2011.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Will it ever come, or will they use the Verizon base Wi-Fi tethered to iPad?

I would say if it does, it will be with iPad2, and simply Verizon cannot announce it yet becuase iPad2 is not officially announced.

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

With the MiFi features on the Verizon iPhone, it's less likely that Apple will make a CDMA version of the iPad (not that one won't come eventually). GSM outnumbers CDMA by a ginormous margin worldwide and naturally lends itself to International portability. CDMA is a little more complicated and less flexible. It may be that we'll see a GSM/CDMA version sometime, but it's not a high priority.

3. Syk, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

Syk macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing they will make one for Verizon.

This has got me to thinking though. The Verizon iP4 will have hotspot capabilities.

What's the odd of Apple allowing the iPad2 to pair/sync with a iP4? I guess sort of like what RIM PlayBook for email & calendars but also allow you to sync music from your phone to your iPad and vice versa. Seems like it would be an OS update.

Something to also steal the thunder from RIM I reckon

ETA: I have an AT&T iPhone4 and will be sticking with AT&T. I haven't had any coverage problems where I live but another big deciding factor for me is mobile to mobile calling plus roll over mins. Those roll over mins came in handy when there was a death in the family.

Back on topic I would consider a Verizon iPad2(actually think I'm going with the Xoom) if I can just pay as I needed reason being. I can use MyWi on my iP4 to tether my tablet but if I was in a bad AT&T or EDGE coverage area. Verizon would more than likely have 3G available and I could use that connection. I don't like using free hotspots, just a personal thing.

4. Built macrumors 68020

I am interested in a Verizon iPad 2...only if...

1. The connectivity is built-in. No tethering...no mobile hotspot...
    2. They offer an unlimited data plan at a reasonable price...

5. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

6. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

If iPad 2 gets Verizon. Then, I would expect the iPad 3 to get LTE, if the iPhone 6 gets it.

7. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Businessweek says it's official. Apparently Verizon's CEO said it during an interview after the iPhone event.

8. Built macrumors 68020

If they offer unlimited data at a reasonable price (since I can't get it from AT&T), I'll jump ship to Verizon for my next iPad.

Thanks for the article. :)

9. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

10. Built macrumors 68020

Sweet...

Verizon could really clean up if they offer an unlimited plan. They can steal away loyal AT&T customers. While I would stick with my grandfathered unlimited iPhone AT&T data plan, I see no reason not to go with iPad 2 with Verizon if they offer unlimited. I can't stand the 2GB limit I currently have on my iPad.

11. Syk macrumors 6502a

Any one think Apple may price the iPad2 cheaper? Like maybe $450 for the 16gb wifi model.

That would still even more thunder from the other tablets.

12. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

I would never buy a CDMA iPad without GSM also...

My iPad has been fantastic when traveling outside the US. I just pop in a local prepaid data SIM and I've got internet access wherever I go at a reasonable price. A CDMA only iPad would not work in most of the world.

I'm hoping that Apple will understand this and sell iPads in North America with both CDMA and GSM capability. RIM has sold CDMA+GSM Blackberries for a long time, so it shouldn't be too hard - especially with all the extra real estate inside an iPad. Along with facilitating international use, It would be very cool to be able to choose between the two big providers within the US.

13. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I, and just about every single iPad owner that I know, would run to Verizon the day it comes out if they did unlimited for the iPad 2

Then again, I doubt it happens

14. Syk macrumors 6502a

My iPhone4 is on AT&T and I won't be switching to Verizon but if I were to buy a 3G iPad I would get a Verizon one as long as they offer a pay as you go, preferable unlimited :D .

I don't travel outside of the US so swapping sims means little to me nor am I one to sell things. I'd give it to my kid, brother or parents when done with it.

My reason for the ipad2 on verizon if I'm someplace that doesn't have AT&T 3G service(Grand dads farm) or inside a building where the 3G signal was really low I could use my Verizon 3G, if in a boring training session or meeting I could use the Verizon connection and not worry about pulling down the battery on my iphone from using MyWi.

If my AT&T coverage was good I could just use MyWi and tether since I have a unlimited data plan on the iphone on those months I don't pay for 3G on the verizon ipad.

15. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

an ipad for verizon sounds ok but it kinda bums me out it wont take advantage of verizons 4g network. id pay extra for that. i wasnt sure if i wanted 3g at first but now that i have it im so glad i got that version. its fun surfing the web where there is no power in the winter :)

16. Syk macrumors 6502a

Have to give the Xoom props for that. The unit can be upgraded to 4G later. If it could be done for $100 or less, leaning heavy toward less, it will stretch the life of it longer IMO.

17. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

30% slower data is a good reason not to goto verizon.