Verizon iPhone 3Gs...one year away???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by crackbookpro, Jun 19, 2009.

1. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

Will the iPhone 3Gs still be limited to AT&T?

I heard Verizon may be in the mix in 2010, and also 2012...What is the deal?

I'm a Mac user, and would love an iPhone, but I can't switch due to work...

...Anyone else interested in a Verizon iPhone release next year???

[ ...just to let you guys know, I am not switching to AT&T :p I personally believe Verizon has a better 3G network anyways, plus 'no can do' due to work ;) ]

CrackBookPro:cool:

2. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

i'm still trying to figure that one out.... at&t has a 5 year exclusive contract.... this is year 3 (3rd phone).... next year will be year 4 (4th phones)..... how does that equal 5?)

3. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

The chances of an iPhone coming to Verizon are pretty slim.

AT&T uses the GSM standard, along with the rest of the world, and that is the standard that Apple is supporting. In order to have an iPhone on Verizon, Apple would have to create a special CDMA version of the phone compatible with Verizon's networks. It wouldn't be worth Apple's time to make a special version of the phone that only the US would use. Besides, believe it or not, a lot of people are happy with AT&T's service.

EDIT: Like geoffreak said, a Verizon iPhone could happen with LTE / 4G, but still that is a while off. Verizon isn't going to begin building their 4G network until next year, and it will be several years until the 4G coverage is enough to build a phone exclusively designed to run on them. So for the short term? You're out of luck.

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Not going to happen until LTE/4G. There will not be a Verizon 3G iPhone. Ever.

5. chox99 macrumors regular

My Bet is 4G LTE as well. GSM is too big of a market to ignore. Meanwhile I would LOVE!!!! to see iPhone on T-mobile!

6. gwfattwkr macrumors member

where did you find out it was a 5 year deal, everything I ever read says multiple year, which could be as few as 2.
    but expect to see a 4g iphone in 12-18 months with a verizon logo on it.
    Verizon has a lot of catching up to do.

and it will have a verizon logo on it.

7. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

I remember reading several times that ATT's exclusivity deal with Apple is set to expire in 2010 and ATT desperately wants to renew the deal for two more years, but Apple hasn't been willing to do it yet. With all the complaints that Apple is getting about ATT, I would be surprised if they end up extending it.

Apple originally went to Verizon before they went to ATT, but Verizon turned them down (it wasn't willing to share/give up control of distribution, warranty, customer service and profits from apps sold).

Now I think Verizon realizes they screwed up given how many people are switching over just for the iPhone. So they'll probably accept the same deal from Apple. It would be suicide not to.

I honestly wouldn't be that surprised if next years WWDC will feature the announcement that the iPhone will be availble on Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile alongside ATT.

I certainly hope so, it'll ease the congestion on the ATT network and spread it out over multiple networks instead. So it wouldn't be all bad for ATT, plus they'll probably retain 90% of the people who switched over. Me and my whole family switched for the iPhone. It's unlikely we would all want to go back.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The ONLY way this will happen is if Verizon agrees to not only not brand the phone/OS with their logos, but also not cripple any features. that's why they didn't get it in the first place.

9. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Only in the software... else you don't know Apple.

10. Smrtphoneaddict macrumors member

Apple has said that CDMA is a dying technology and they have no interest in making a CDMA phone. I'm pretty sure it will come to Verizon when they get LTE in enough markets. My prediction is Late 2011 or 2012.

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

WOW...not this frickin' debate again. Can we just skip it this time? Cuz this has been rehashed over and over and over and over.......

12. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Actually you know what would be pretty funny?

Verizon (I was a former customer, glad I switched) usually takes every phone they market and puts a crappy gimp OS with Verizon stuck all over it (as some have mentioned.)

I think it would be hilarious if they shipped the iPhone with their own OS and not the iPhone OS hahaha

I would make lulz.

13. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

the guy at the at&t store told us that last weekend....

14. Smrtphoneaddict macrumors member

The original contract was for 5 years but it got reworked last year when the iPhone 3G came out. Nobody really knows the length of the deal now.

15. crackbookpro thread starter macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

Even though what you said is a lot of speculation about the release of a Verizon iPhone, I think you have a great point...and we may indeed see a new Verizon iPhone come next summer or soon than after.

I'm hoping it does, but I really don't know - this AT&T contract has to be settled...

CrackBookPro:cool:

16. alansaysstop macrumors regular

i wonder if dudes on the blackberry message boards argue about there phones and which network they're going to be on...

again. it doesn't matter to me. i have an iPhone (two to be exact;)) and AT&T. I've had Nextel, T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint and so far so good with AT&T. Plus I've had ONE phone for an entire year, until today when I bought a 3G S. Thats damn good stats considering I went through 2 BB Curves and about 40 sidekicks. All in two and half years with t-mobile.

17. crackbookpro thread starter macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

yeah, those iPhones are nice, I want a 3gs :eek:

18. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I don't think Verizon's too sad about not having the iPhone.

• Still less customer churn than ATT
    • Still more profit than ATT, due to more contract customers
    • Not out a half billion in subsidies for 18 months
    • No worries about network overload
    • No denying Slingplayer to users
    • Not having to deal with Apple

And Verizon is getting the Pre, the Storm II, the Touch Pro 2, and the Omnia II.

The latter two have huge 800x480 AMOLED screens that look like photos, nice UI overlays... and easy task managers to deal with multiple apps running.

Would be nice if they also got the new LG WinMo phone with its 3D UI.

In any case, there's not as much need for carrying the iPhone. Methinks Apple needs the new market more than Verizon needs them.

19. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I'll admit the LG was cool, but after having WinMo for my work phone, I can't go back to any WinMo phone again. I hate it so bad the guys in my group just call/text on our personal cell phones.

20. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

If Verizon gets one at all it wont be a couple years at least.

21. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't say building a CDMA iPhone would be a waste, most US cellular users are on CDMA. On Verizon alone that's 90 million potential users, which realistically may put them around 10 million additional users. Not bad.