Verizon iPhone 4 3G speed

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Uncopy, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Uncopy macrumors newbie

I got my phone back in February, ever since had speeds of about 45-52 kB/s down, max of 70-80 occasionally. Upload speed of 102-113 kB/s.

Ping always 250-280ms.

Testing on fiancé's phone, droid incredible is always faster. 140-160 ping at ~ 120 kB/s down, 110kB/s up.

Tested 5 other iPhones at Verizon that all had faster speed similar to the droid.

I'm on my 2nd iPhone 4, same slow 3G speed. With or without jailbreak, 4.2.6 & 4.2.8, fresh restores, always slow.

Is Verizon messing with me?

2. MikeeV9 macrumors member

I'm with you brother...I'm here in South Florida. Just switched over from AT&T. I'm not too happy about it. Check these amazing speeds:

[​IMG]

3. Uncopy thread starter macrumors newbie

Wasn't able to load the pic. I'm in Sioux Falls, SD. I have 3 towers within 1 mile of my house.

Not sure why the 2 iPhone 4's I've had have both been about half the speed as the display models and the Verizon reps iPhone 4.

On the day I activated this 2nd one, I had one test max out at 128.2 kB/s down and 96.5 kB/s up before I went to work, after I got off work at 2am, I had one last high speed test max at 198 down 109 up. Since then, back to escargo mode.

:mad:

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's some pathetic speeds.
    Its not your phone, its your network.
    There's not really that much of a difference between getting 120kb download or 50-80KB.
    Its just your area has really slow/bad verizon speeds.
    Its worst than AT&T's 2G/Edge data.
    Im getting 5-6Mbps down and 1.5 up where Im at with AT&T.

5. Uncopy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, Verizon speed sucks, but side by side tests of my 2 phones vs. the display ones at Verizon, mine were always half the speed or worse.

The pings on the display models were better, higher download speed.

Doesn't make sense.