Verizon iPhone 4 Add A Line

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zac7, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Zac7 macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2011
    I am a current Verizon customer and will be pre-ordering the iPhone 4 at 3 am on the 3rd. My question to everyone is regarding me adding a line. I read today that in order to get the iPhone you can add a line to pre-order it. I am due for an upgrade, but my fiance is a Sprint user and her contract ends Feb 9th. The question is can I add a line on Verizon with a new number get her an iPhone and then on the 9th could she port her number to this existing Verizon line so she doesn't have to pay an ETF? I am using my upgrade on my iPhone, add a line for her iPhone, and then we would be on a family plan going forward. The only problem is she wants to keep her current number and get the iPhone without waiting in the lines on the 10th. So is it possible to have a new number on Verizon for a week then once her contract is over go to Verizon and have them port her old number to the new line?

Is this possible with wireless companies in general doesn't have to be iPhone specific. I just want to know that if someone went opened a Verizon account and still had a say AT&T plan, but it was ending in say a month. Can I after the month have Verizon port my AT&T number to my new Verizon plan essentially ending the AT&T contract without having to pay an ETF.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.
  2. tbaker00 macrumors member

Jan 19, 2011
    I am 99.9999% positive you can do this. But if I were you I would call up verizon tomorrow sometime and talk to a customer service representative an ask them. There should be no problems I can think of with doing what you are talking about. But double check.
  3. Zac7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2011
    Thanks, this is what I am thinking to just seeing if anyone had some first hand knowledge.
  4. tbaker00 macrumors member

Jan 19, 2011
    I have asked this type of question before to verizon but it was different, I was asking about porting the number over from a different company to verizon, but the different part was that I wasn't going to port onto a existing line. I do not see any problem with it though, they will just port the number over and take the iphone's original number and put it back into the system for some one else to use. And it should not matter what kind of phone or anything.

Also as another possibility, I am sure you can upgrade on the 9th instead of having to wait in line on the 10th. But the problem would be if there any available phones left by that late in the pre-order process.
  5. Zac7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2011
    If I do it i am going to preorder it on the 3rd. If not then she will have to wait in line the 10th.
  6. shelbymayer macrumors regular

Aug 4, 2010
    I work for AT&T and we do this pretty regularly. Not sure about Verizons policy, but with AT&T you have up to 30 days to port over a number to an existing line (new activation). Call Verizon to be sure though!
  7. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Jul 26, 2008
    Can you believe that somebody said on another site that a Verizon rep told him that you would not be able to add a line to get the iphone on the 3rd! People believe anything. He actually said that you have to be eligible for an upgrade in order to get it on the 3rd.