verizon iphone 4, bad esn, what can i do?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jordansname, Jan 24, 2013.

1. jordansname macrumors newbie

I bought a verizon iphone 4 off craigslist. The phone was brand new. Within a few days it was activated to the contract of the guy I bought it from. So right now the phone has active service. I just used the phone, dialed *611, checked the accounts balance, $1300. Obviously the guy who sold me the phone is not going to pay off balance and deactivate the phone he sold me. What can I do to get new service going on the phone? Should try to unlock it? or jailbreak the phone? Right now it's still receiving service, I can make calls on his line/service. Help! and Thanks! Also, the guy has magically disappeared from the face of the earth.

2. tito2020 macrumors 6502a

Theres a possibility that phone can be stolen or he rigged it some how no way Verizon will let you have a phone bill that high believe me.

3. jordansname thread starter macrumors newbie

it was brand new in box, had all the stickies on it, said he had multiple phones on a business account, maybe this is how the bill got so high? it's still active, verizons automated system is saying his last payment was made in November.... how would he have rigged it?

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Wrong ($18,000)
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20003930-71.html

----------

What did you pay for it?

5. jordansname thread starter macrumors newbie

6. corys00 macrumors regular

I'd be willing to bet there were lines added fraudulently to a business account. The iPhone 4 is free on contract, so the person didn't have to front money up front. Sold it, pure profit for him. I worked for Verizon and this happened far more often then you think, especially at Apple Stores.

7. jordansname thread starter macrumors newbie

do i have any options?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nothing you can do. That phone can never get activated on verizon again unless the original owner pays off his bill and clears the bad esn status.

9. jordansname thread starter macrumors newbie

can it be activated elsewhere?

10. corys00 macrumors regular

MetroPCS and Cricket.

11. jordansname thread starter macrumors newbie

do in need to do anything first, or just take it in?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Take it to them and see if they can help you flash it.
    From what I heard you will be able to make calls and texts but no carrier data.

13. corys00 macrumors regular

For the price you'd probably be paying to do it, I'd just eat this purchase and buy another phone. Metro sucks, I can't speak of Cricket, but yeah, MetroPCS really sucks.