Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bryann9182

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2011
went to work yesterday with 98% battery. At work I have no service (maybe 1-2 bars at most) and i'm usually on the EDGE network. Over a period of 6.5 hours, with medium usage, my battery went from 98% to 9% by the end of the night. A girl who I was working with has the iphone 4 as well on the same network, and her battery only went from 79% to 66%.

I had wi-fi turned off, no apps running in the background and set my weather to update every hour instead of half hour like I usually have it. How could my battery be draining that much that quickly? My brightness was set to the same as hers, w/ auto-brightness turned on.

battery is 100% fine at home with full service and everything. Lasts all day. When i'm at work with no service and moderate usage the battery drains at almost 20% and hour

Version 4.2.6
Modem Firmware 1.0.05
Phone is jailbroken

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
That's b/c the phone is constantly trying to get that cell signal and working overtime to get it so when there is no or very little signal you will notice the battery drain pretty fast. When you know you won't have a cell signal turn it off and you will not drain the battery. When you leave work turn it back on and you should be fine.

Occasionally I'm in areas where there is zero cell signal and if I forget to turn off edge/3G my battery takes a big hit Also.

It's normal.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Your battery is draining due to the service issue (little to no service). It’s one of the biggest drainers, besides the brightness of your screen.

Edit: Turn off 3G and you should do better.

patp

Apr 10, 2008
ditto what the above 2 said. When I'm in Ontario, CA there is little to no 3G signal. I notice my battery draining at a much faster rate.

When I return to Orange County where the signal is great, my battery lasts and at the end of the day I'm usually around 60%.

bryann9182

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2011
I have 3G turned off all the time through SBsettings, but what I do have enabled is 3G Unrestrictor. Would turning off Wi-Fi and 3G unrestrictor through SBsettings be the same as disabling 3G?

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I have 3G turned off all the time through SBsettings, but what I do have enabled is 3G Unrestrictor. Would turning off Wi-Fi and 3G unrestrictor through SBsettings be the same as disabling 3G?

I don’t understand the question. You have 3G off, so it’s off. The issue you have is that your EDGE is also probably very weak, so your battery is being run down looking for that too. You could turn off wifi, but I doubt that’s the source of most of your drain.

bryann9182

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2011
I don’t understand the question. You have 3G off, so it’s off. The issue you have is that your EDGE is also probably very weak, so your battery is being run down looking for that too. You could turn off wifi, but I doubt that’s the source of most of your drain.

basically what I am asking is would having 3G Unrestrictor on in an area with no service drain my battery as bad as if I had 3G on in an area with no service.

My friend has the iphone 4 for verizon as well. She was working with me last night and her battery only dropped about 10-12% in the 5 hours she was with me. She was texting fairly often too

Last edited:

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
No. 3G unrestrictor simply tricks your phone into accessing wifi only items.
Your best bet is to enable airplane mode. When I worked in the basement, before they installed AT&T antennas, I didn't bother with trying to connect.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Something's definitely wrong if it's doing it outside the basement where you have no service. Especially if you have a Verizon iPhone that says you're on the EDGE network. Verizon doesn't have an EDGE network.

I'm no expert but that could be the root of your issue. If you've jailbroken the phone and the software doesn't jive with Verizon's network (the Verizon iPhone and the AT&T iPhone do run different software) it may not be functioning correctly.

Did you have this problem before the jailbreak?

If you have no service at all, you do need to just turn the cellular connection off. Searching for service will kill your battery faster than anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.