Verizon iPhone 4, buy now or wait for iPhone5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Castel, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Castel, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011

Castel macrumors newbie

I am curious as to what the general opinion is. My Verizon contract is up. Should I buy the 3G iPhone 4 next month, or wait till June/July for a possible 4G/LTE iPhone 5?

2. vladtheimpaler macrumors regular

vladtheimpaler

Wait. The iPhone 5 will be better no matter how many try to say "it will not be that different". It will still be better! Wait son!

3. Krandor macrumors 6502

I would wait and see if the new iPhone announced this summer will be coming to Verizon as well.

4. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

5. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Why do people ask these silly questions?

1. If your on a budget or don't want to spend money.. wait for iphone 5, or iphone 6, or iphone 7, etc. etc.. either way once you get the new iphone, it is old the next year... so it becomes a viscious cycle.

2. If you have the money to spend, get the iphone 4 now and upgrade at retail price on iphone 5 when it becomes available.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting a new TV. But, just for fun, I'm not going to tell you the TV I had before, what I'm willing to spend on a new one, whether or not I had cable on my old one, if I had or am planning to buy any gaming systems or a blu-ray player, where in the house it's going to be, how big the house/apartment is, how often I watch TV, and if I can afford all the residual costs associated with it. So tell me guys, what new TV should I get?

7. Chuchichan macrumors 6502

You should get an Apple TV of course.

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

about 4 post below yours if the exact same question.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1082270

But I'll sum it up for you. If you are one of those people who has to have the latest and greatest, then your going to be waiting forever, otherwise, Buy Now and enjoy what you got.

Their is no point in waiting for a possibility, the iPhone 4 on AT&T and Verizon (on 3G network) is the current product available from Apple.

9. Castel thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, aren't you two (Namjii & Interstella5555) clever. The question is not about waiting year after year for the latest technology, nor is it about buying something new in general. I'll restate the question which you both have seemed to miss. All things being equal, is the learned opinion out there to wait a few months for a next generation phone on a next generation network, or is it not likely to be a 4GLTE phone and, therefore, not worth waiting for?

And thank you saving107 for pointing out the similar question posted a half hour before mine. I had typed mine up, then was interrupted and posted it without re-checking to see if someone else had asked the same. I have asked the moderator to remove this post in the wake of the post you mentioned.

10. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Personally, I would wait, but to play devils advocate couple of reasons to get now:

1. If you get it now, you will be upgrade eligible in time for iPhone 6, which will be better than 5.

2. You don't know if apple will update a CDMA iPhone this year, while I belive they probably will, we don't know for sure so you may end up waiting for nothing.

3. Odds are the iPhone getting released this year will probably still be 3G or might have hspa+ (3.75G) next years will probably be the LTE iPhone, so that's the one you want to be eligible for.

11. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

That is still a silly question... how the hell do you expect us to predict the future.... Use common sense.

12. Krandor macrumors 6502

It is very unlikely the 2011 iphone will be LTE so if that is what he is waiting for then the answer would be no.

However, if I was with Verizon and wanted to buy an iphone and looking at a Verizon release in Mid-Feb with a 2 year contract and a potential new iphone in June/July I would wait for the June/July model. I think a 3-4 month wait is worth getting the latest especially when you will be locked into a 2 year contract.

As to what will be on the phone in June/July or if the phone in June/July will be for Verizon is all speculation at this point.

However, if LTE is your definition of "worth waiting for" then no it will not be worth waiting for because LTE this year is very very unlikely.

13. kicko macrumors 65816

I'm just going to get the ip4, i think the ip5 will be more like a 4gs. I'm currently using Verizon for 3g and have no issues with it... besides the 4g LTE will cost $50 a month if i'm not mistaken. I'm good with $30 unlimited for now.

14. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Or get the iPhone now on a 1 year contract for a $70 premium (if Verizon follows what they do for their other smartphones). A one year contract allows an upgrade in 10 months, so you'd be eligible for a new phone in December.

15. Oilbrnr macrumors 6502

Assuming this is an option, I'd probably go that route. No LTE this year is a pretty safe bet.

16. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Thanks, mom always told me I was. But seriously, I'm just trying to underscore how difficult it is to recommend what someone buys, especially when it's something pricey like a smartphone and especially when you're asking about a hypothetical situation of a product that hasn't been released yet. Without knowing your history or needs with a phone, there's not such thing as "all things being equal..." because they're not.

17. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

That's good advice and probably what I'll do this weekend... and hopefully qualify early for the LTE iPhone, cuz that'll be something to have!

18. APPLENEWBIE, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

In my opinion there is no way apple will introduce a vPhone in February only to replace it four months later with a completely new model. Makes no sense to do a relatively small production run like that, with the likely effect of ticking off a lot of NEW customers.

So, two options...

The phone introduced in february will be for a one-year run. When they introduce the gsm version in June, the vPhone will get a firmware upgrade to include as many of the new gsm phone features as possible. Then, in 2012, there will be a convergence to a dual band gsm/cdms LTE phone.

Or, apple will surprise us all in February with a dual band phone that will still be a 3G unit with some new features. And it will become available to all the other carriers in June. This would be a nice way for verizon to have a bit of a brief competitive advantage, for which I am certain they would have compensated apple with a wad of cash.

19. APPLENEWBIE, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

My bet is on the first option...

By the way. I am a verizon customer who will be getting an iPhone from big red. I am now using a droid v1, which has been a pretty good unit. I hope apple is going to add an android feature I would really miss.. Voice to text in most applications. It is awesome for doing text messages in particular.

Overall I think that the iPhone is going to have a huge, and negative, impact on android sales. They are good phones, but the user experience is just not in the same league as the apple product.

20. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

You can bet Apple is working on voice recognition, especially given that they bought a voice company last year. I think they also bought a maps company, so they are likely working on their own solution for that as well. With Apple and Google's fierce rivalry, it's probably safe to assume Apple is trying to move away from Google dependance as much as it can!

21. APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

As a soon-to-be former android user on Verizon, a few thoughts:

I have both an iPod touch and an iPad so I am pretty familiar with iOS.

Android's lack of ability to sync with iTunes is a major problem for me. I never did get it to be able to transfer videos, or at least I could never find them if it did. I tried drag-and-drop and also double twist which worked somewhat but was always sort of kludgey.

Also, I was never able to reliably get iCal to sync with the Google calendar program. I also could not find a way to reliably get my contacts in Google mail to sync with address book/MobileMe. This resulted in my having two separate contact lists, one for the phone, one for my computers.

Perhaps users of Windows had a better experience than I did on Mac with android, but the user experience was just lacking on android. It seems a lot like using a linux computer as opposed to Windows or Mac OS X. Kind of fiddly.

Apple my be a walled garden, but it does grow some nice tasty stuff.

22. zenit macrumors member

i plan on getting iphone4 on verizon now, then if I find iphone5 to be worth it, I will sell the 4 and buy the 5 outright. In good condition iphone4 will fetch at least $400 on ebay. this will also put me right in the time frame for my upgrade to be available around the time iphone6 comes out.

23. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I have a Droid X on Verizon right now, and I've had no problems syncing contacts and calendars with MobileMe, Google, and my iMac. I will be switching back to iPhone as well, but not because of problems with syncing. If that were my only reason, I'd be asking for help first because it definitely works.

24. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

Wait until iPhone goes to 4G. The iPone 4 is already outdated.

25. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

buy it now the Verizon iphone will be a rare collectable after the release of the iphone 5. and you can sell it and buy plenty of iphone 5:s with that money :D