Verizon iPhone 4 - Elevator Test

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iFitz, Feb 7, 2011.

1. iFitz macrumors regular

I work in a 36 story high rise office building in Los Angeles. On my AT&T iPhone 4 (or all of them for that matter) I would have to finish my call before getting in the elevator. On my new Verizon iPhone 4, I get 4 bars all the way up! This makes me very happy!

I know, data speeds are slower. But so far, I haven't noticed a difference. Not so sure data speeds on AT&T were any faster in my area cause Verizon still seems to be the same for me.

2. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Maybe it's because one operator has booster stations in your building?

I have this same issue. o2 UK have full reception everywhere in my 42 floor building but Vodafone don't. This is due to o2 having booster stations on each floor/elevator.

3. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

In LA I agree maybe there is a booster inside the building.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

More than that. CDMA carriers tends to punch threw buildings better than GSM does.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Bingo.
    Try that in other building elevators and then you'll say "can you hear me now?":D

6. iFitz thread starter macrumors regular

Could be that there is a booster. Although my entire company (Universal Music Group) are on either AT&T or T-Mobile and neither work in the building. You'd think that since Universal is the majority of the building, they'd add more boosters. All I care about it my personal phone working though. Don't care much about the work phone. LOL

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Don't tell JD914. He'll deny that a) you lose any AT&T signal inside the elevator and b) refute the fact that you get VZW signal in the elevator instead.

8. iFitz thread starter macrumors regular

Well I think he should come test it out with me! I would be happy to do that. Would be fun!

9. Stinkypalm macrumors member

My test will be in the restroom. My AT&T iPhone no service. Verizon guys would have signals.

10. iFitz thread starter macrumors regular

LOL. I'll have to try that next. Never got signal in the restroom on AT&T

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    No booster needed.

The elevator scenario is common in some of the larger cities, where Verizon has always had a lot of building-penetrating 800MHz band coverage and AT&T did not.

However, in the past year, AT&T has started to add 850MHz signals in places like New York, and as a result actually had network overloads due to so many more people getting a usable signal inside buildings.

12. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

13. tsolt macrumors regular

tsolt

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

It really depends on location and/or actually buildings. Some elevators I lose ATT signal while Verizon craps out, and vice versa. Same thing with basements.

15. iFitz thread starter macrumors regular

Great! emails sent and received, websites opened, etc. I couldn't be happier. So glad I switched.

Also, did a little test with a co-worked who has her AT&T iPhone (I sold mine so couldn't do the test). We both loaded the same webpage at the same time, and they both loaded just as fast! Pretty much exactly the same, and my images loaded about a fraction of a second faster. So I'm not missing AT&T for voice OR data.

16. Sysyphus macrumors newbie

There are some places you really don't want a signal... in my early cellphone days in my favorite bar you could get a signal if you sat to the left of the taps, but to the right was a dead zone... that was great!!