Verizon iPhone 4: No Internet Access Intermittently

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chgotop, Mar 2, 2011.

1. chgotop macrumors newbie

I searched the forum and could not find a similar post regarding this problem.

I picked up the V-iP on Feb. 10th. All went well with setups, synching, transfers, etc. I have been very satisfied with the phone until yesterday. For some reason, the internet or email could not be accessed. Each function that required web access froze up with the spinning status symbol showing and the battery drained rapidly in standby throughout the day (even though all apps were closed), more so than it ever had since owning it. Initially I thought it was a regional network issue but after calling Verizon Tech Supp I learned it was not.

The Tech had me dial *228 and select option 2 (I think). The voice prompt stated that my roaming privileges were updated. I was then instructed to power down the phone and power back up. After doing so, all web access (and accumulated emails) was back.

This morning, the same thing occurs. No internet access. After power down/up, access returns. At this point I am beginning to become concerned. Is this a lemon that I have or has anyone else experienced this? I think that it is unreasonable to constantly have to 'reboot' the phone for dropped internet access.

I suppose my next step is to trek back to the Apple Store if this happens again tomorrow.

2. greens601 macrumors newbie

I am having the exact same problem, please let me know if you find any solutions.

3. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

you mean it's not the most reliable network after all? who would have thought:rolleyes:

4. goofybutsane macrumors newbie

i think it's a bug in iOS cause i'm right next door to the verizon tower and mine will go from 3G to the O and won't come back till i reboot while my buddy's android will stay on 3G so i don't think it's the network

5. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Wait, I thought that Verizon Wireless was the bestest most amazing network and At&T blows? I never have data problems on AT&T :D

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

This has happened to me twice - loss of internet/data access on cellular (though voice still works) - both times after switching back and forth across a couple of different wifi networks at work.

The solution was to go to Settings - General - Network and toggle cellular data off then back on. No reboot necessary.

Seems like an iOS software bug to me.

7. N2PVP macrumors member

N2PVP

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Same thing here but like you said turning it off and on takes care of it and all you AT&T fan boys if you can't help don't post

8. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I saw this too on a friend's VzW iPhone.

Wasn't sure at the time if it was due to location or something else, but the symptoms were the same as the OP describes.

Highly doubt it's network related at this point.

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Perhaps this is why iOS 4.3 is delayed for CDMA iPhones at this point.

10. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Maybe its regional or something. My signal and 3g operation have been bulletproof.

11. goofybutsane macrumors newbie

Well when you have at&t edge that doesn't work 90% of the time or Verizon 3G that connects at 2mbps the choice is obvious but I do think it's a bug that apple is working on also delaying the CDMA update to 4.3

12. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

are you head of the thread Nazi? :confused:...don't be mad because Verizon is not everything they claim...

13. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Give it a break already. No service is perfect. No device is perfect.

No car is perfect.
    No house is perfect.
    You are not perfect.
    I am not perfect.
    Steve Jobs, while a visionary, is not perfect.

Do they have more coverage? Yes. Is it perfect? No. They never said they were perfect.

If every VZW iPhone owner comments on a problem on this board and is met with similar comments or disdain from its members, well ... I suppose the board isn't perfect either.

14. jwiggs23 macrumors member

I've actually had the same problem. When I first got my verizon iphone i thought it was just my phone, so I called Apple and they ended up replacing my phone. On my replacement iPhone the same thing happens, usually fixed by just turning off and on the phone. and have accepted it some sorta bug with the phone.
    I hope it gets fixed soon if it's fixable in the software.

15. Adam0306 macrumors regular

Adam0306

OP,
    the *228 resyncs your phone profile to the area's antennas where you are for better coverage. I am almost certain that it is the IOS.

No verizon is not the best, nor is AT&T. Verizon has slightly slower speeds with much more coverage in rural areas where AT&T has faster speeds with coverage in largely dense areas only. Ecspecially in the area where I live, in the city, there is AT&T but go away from the city or interstate, and you will have no access but you will have full signal wherever you go with Verizon.

16. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

*228 only gives you a new PRL - Preferred Roaming List.

*228 will possibly help in times when you are between system borders, almost the entire time it's just something the VzW reps tell customers to do because that pops up on their screen. I'd say getting a new PRL helps maybe 1 in 10 cases, and I'm being very generous with this.

17. JamesMB, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like a network problem to me.
    No way, I thought that's not possible with Verizon:p

19. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

but what you say is not consistent with what Verizon users have been saying on these boards for the last 4 years...Verizon>AT&T...we now are seeing that it's FALSE

20. dennisjr631 macrumors 6502

I had this problem with my AT&T iPhone when it first came out. I had it replaced at the Apple store and everything was great. I now have the verizon iPhone and never lost internet once.

21. Oilbrnr, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2011

Oilbrnr macrumors 6502

I did experience this on Monday while in a meeting at work. Three bars of 3G but no connectivity suddenly. Cycled Cellular Data and things were back to normal.

Bigger issue that I've noticed, in areas of lower signal strength, if I drop from 3G to O, due to holding the phone (no cover), it seems to stay on O even when I set it back down on say my desk where it normally gets 3G. Probably just a tuning issue between Apple and VZ, similar to the 3G-EDGE-3G issues on AT&T a couple of years ago.

22. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

23. raremage macrumors 6502a

That would make you a majority of exactly one.

24. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Yeah, I agree it has to be the phone or iOS. It couldn't possibly be the carrier.:rolleyes: