Verizon iPhone 4 white conversion possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mpick92, May 19, 2011.

1. mpick92 macrumors newbie

I have done a lot of research and have had little luck finding good products. My friend broke the screen on his verizon iPhone, and decided he might as well convert it to white since it's about the same money (just have to buy a white back plate). The problem is finding the right place to buy. You can spend $200 for a service you can send your phone in and they send you back your white-converted phone, but that's too much. With all the videos and knowledge out there, I want to convert my friends iPhone while saving $50+. I'm starting to realize that just going to Apple and getting a new screen would make more sense. If I'm right, they make you pay $200 and they give you a refurbished or new iPhone. Could be wrong there.
    ... Anyway here are the websites I have been seriously looking into
    http://www.ifixdirect.com/products/iphone-4-verizon-white-color-swap-kit
    http://www.sw-box.com/Cdma-Verizon-...Screen-Flex-Cable-Supporting-Frame-White.html

And what I tried already...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Verizon-Whi...ultDomain_0&hash=item2310949436#ht_2148wt_905
    When I received this today, the white back did not even fit (sent me GSM, not CDMA, version), and the white bezel around the screen was flimsy, so I did not even go any further taking the phone apart.

My main problem with the whole process is making sure they are CDMA parts and not GSM parts. It's very hard to find cdma white parts, especially since the verizon iphone hasn't been out very long. This process is frustrating and a large waste of time and money, especially since going to Apple would make the most sense. Although who doesn't like a challenge? (already lost warranty by opening the phone up too)
    I may just tell my friend to go with the black replacement face (OEM) from sw-box. I also sent them an email regarding the quality of their white lcd/digitizer (listed non-OEM). I DO NOT want to make the same mistake as with the ebay buyer, but would like to get quality parts in white if it's possible (for a decent price).
    If anyone has converted a white CDMA iPhone 4, I would appreciate any advice or recommendations, because I'm at a point where I may buy white parts from SW-BOX or just by the single black replacement screen. Thanks for all input.

2. mpick92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Went to apple store, no questions asked, waived the $199 replacement fee and gave my friend a brand new iphone 4, quality service. In the end the best solution.

3. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

My advice is just to sell the iPhone you have in black and then use the funds to buy a white iPhone outright at the Apple Store.

It is less hassle on your end and you'll be getting the real thing. With the conversion, you'll be looking at $100-$150? Sell the iPhone for $400 and spend the same money on a real white one.

4. racedude macrumors member

Wait so he broke his black iPhone 4, went into the Apple store and got a new one for free (common for nice apple genius employees :D!)... But did he get a new white one, or black one? As far as I know they're only allowed to give you a new one of the same color at a reduced price, if he got a new white one he got really lucky...

5. iFiend macrumors 65816

Nowhere in his post does it say that he got a white replacement, because he didn't, because Apple won't do it. Would be nice though :)

6. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

Yeah...So was his post off topic? I don't see the point, :confused::confused::confused: