Price Advice Verizon iPhone 4S 64GB w/ Applecare

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KJmoon117, Jun 13, 2012.

1. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I'm seriously getting fed up with Verizon's ridiculously slow 3G speeds. They aren't a bad carrier compared to others by any means but streaming is a pain and loading websites sometimes take forever.

So I want to upgrade to the next iPhone but my contract isn't up yet. So how much do you think a Verizon iPhone 4S 64GB w/ Applecare will go for in today's market? A week/month before iPhone 5 launch?

2. derrranged macrumors member

i'm not sure, what does your crystal ball say?

Enough to still be worth it to someone looking to save some money who doesn't want/need the new features. OR If you buy yourself out of your verizon contract, they will unlock the phone for you. the 4S has both cellular radios in it. So, you could then take the exact same phone over to an ATT store and activate it with them.

3. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Yeah....I'm confused as to how one could be such a prolific poster in these forums and still think that "The New iPhone" (not the 'iPhone 5' BTW) is a week/month out.

As for your question, why not take 5 mins. to check out eBay & Craigslist. Seriously; 5 minutes.

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

That is the answer to all questions in the Universe. Really your question is this: So in 2-3 months from now right before the New iPhone is released that will hopefully have 4G LTE radios, how much will my iPhone 64GB be worth even though I have not told you anything about the condition of the unit.

While I have no answers for you, I'm going to let you in on a few secrets: 1. The iPhones are starting to saturate the market which means right before and after a new iPhone comes out the market is saturated with the old models.
    2. While the 64GB might have cost you an extra $200 over the base iPhone, you won't get anywhere near an additional $200 on the used market. With most Apple Products being sold used, people don't care about the "add-ons", they only care about what it will cost them so the 16GB vs 64GB will only be about an extra $50 to $100 (if you are lucky).
    3. Did you get Applecare or Applecare+. You might be lucky enough to get an additional $50 for it, but then again you might not get anything more for it. It was only $100 for Applecare+ and half of the warranty is already gone....

5. tbarney macrumors member

Is this true? I know the 4S has the capabilites for both "verizon like" and AT&T like" wireless carriers, but I thought that an unlocked Verizon phone can only by used on a "verizon like" wireless carrier. If what derrranged states is true then that is fantastic, I'll defininatly be getting my Verizon 4S unlocked and moved to Straight Talk as soon as possible. Please please let me know.

6. KJmoon117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Woah woah let's be nice here. When did I ever say the iPhone 4S has only been a week/month out?

The 4S does have both radios but if the Verizon one is unlocked for international use then it can be used on any GSM carrier natively worldwide (except the US carriers of course).

The thread was made on Jun 14 :p Why resurrect it? Plus, I was asking for an approximation from those who have had experiences selling their iPhones before launch of a new iPhone. After all, the prices for iPhones rarely change from generation to generation.

Thanks paulrbeers for the secrets. I might just sell my 4S much earlier than September if that's the case. (Also praying that majority of the population don't go to rumor sites)

7. tbarney macrumors member

That's what I thought. So I'll have no choice but to buy an unlocked GSM phone for use on Straight Talk. Thanks!

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Fair enough. My apologies. I hadn't drank my coffee yet (I should know better.) :eek:

9. derrranged macrumors member

duped

I'm so very sorry to say that I was completely wrong about the capabilities of the 4s. The ATT modelMIGHT have GSM and CDMA radios in it, but if they are present, the CDMA radios are disabled at the factory. So, in effect, the ATT model is only capable of running on a GSM network.

The CDMA model is another story entirely. It does contain both radios, CDMA and GSM, and neither are disabled out of the factory. However immediately upon acquisition of a CDMA model phone will not allow you access to a US based GSM carrier. The GSM Sim card slot is only unlocked for non-US carriers.

Incidentally the CDMA model phones used for Verizon and Sprint are identical hardware. Theoretically one could be reprogrammed to work on the other. But it does appear that the programming that makes this different possible is at such a low level most people would be incapable.

I apologize for the confusion that I may have caused.