Verizon iPhone 4S Activation Issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BeSerious, Oct 14, 2011.

1. BeSerious macrumors member

Oct 7, 2011
    Having issues with both my black and white 4S' activation with Verizon. It makes sense seeing how a million people are trying to activate theirs I suppose.

*228 does not work.
  2. 00trayn macrumors member

Oct 6, 2011
    This is the first I've heard of activation being an issue on Verizon, but I can't say I'm surprised. I'm going to get my phone as soon as I leave work (leasing office has it) and hopefully it doesn't take too long to activate.
  3. bravian macrumors newbie

Jun 29, 2007
    Verizon issue

Verizon forgot to port my phone number over so I have no service on my new iPhone 4S. Been online with Verizon for the last hour - apparently their "porting center" is being slammed at the moment. I'm not the only one having this problem.
  4. butzchan macrumors newbie

Aug 24, 2008
    No, you are not alone. Verizon claims that it is all 3 carriers and that 3,800 Verizon ports were cancelled along with many more from the other 2 carriers. They also seem to be pointing the finger at Apple. Anyone else have any info? They are saying 48 hours for completion now!?! WTF!
  5. Sdred macrumors newbie

Oct 14, 2011
    Im in the same situation. I ported over 2 lines from tmobile after preordering from verizon online. My wife's line ported fine, mine did not. I just got off the phone with verizon, they told me the porting center shutdown earlier today for a reason he did not know. He told me the porting center will open again tomorrow. Let me know of your phone starts working or if you hear anything
  6. HiRez macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2004
    Western US
    Same situation here. Porting center opens at 8am Central time, number is 866-245-9007, although my rep mentioned something about a "local" porting department, so I don't know if it's the same number for everyone.

Unbelievable if they truly just hosed all those ports. Grr.

By the way, I ordered everything directly through Verizon. Did the rest of you order the porting through the carrier or through Apple? Just curious.
  7. powerbuddy macrumors 6502

Jun 20, 2006
  8. tigerfan41 macrumors regular

Oct 7, 2011
    I didn't port my number, however I had issues with doing the over the air activation. This is what I did to "resolve" it:

1. Went into my Verizon account and clicked to activate line.
    2. Tried the 228 trick. Did not work.
    3. Finally ended up restoring the phone.
    4. Called the 228 number again and this time was told it was already activated. And it was.

I assume at some point when I did the activation the first time around, it somehow got corrupted. The second time around, after starting fresh, it worked. YMMV.
  9. powerbuddy macrumors 6502

Jun 20, 2006
    No ****! I could see the port status for my phone number of VZW a few days ago, saying "Your previous carrier has agreed to transfer over the account" in that effect, and suddenly today the port status disappeared.
  10. butzchan macrumors newbie

Aug 24, 2008
    Is this exclusive to Verizon? Anyone porting to another carrier have issues?
  11. limerun macrumors newbie

Oct 15, 2011
    found the issue

After many hours with Verizon I have found the problem & found other cases on other forums.. One population in trouble is if you:
    -Bought your 4s direct from
    -Requested to have your old number ported from AT&T
    -Had the phone delivered to you
    For whatever reason Apple (though they have never made a mistake) submitted a port request that to port your number on NOV 1, 2, or 3 (I have found instances using all 3 of these dates). To make matters worse if you are in this situation it will look to most reps that you have no port request in hand. Access to this field is several levels down in the system and even many tier 2 reps at the port 888# are unlikely to check it.
    So if you are having these issues, call in. get to tier 2 and ask them to check the date..

report back if you find the same