Verizon iPhone 4S call reception is amazing!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andross77, Oct 25, 2011.

1. andross77 macrumors regular

Ok so I haven't seen any threads on call reception in my CURSORY glancing of the first page (that all caps was for the next poster in thread that will linke like 7 other threads on call reception :)) so I thought I'd make one.

As everyone knows, that understand the frequencies cell phone companies use, Verizon uses the lowest frequencies and this is the reason they get better building penetration than the other carriers. Sprint uses 2500mhz for 4G which is why you will drop to 3G the second you step inside a Starbucks in Chicago. ATT did buy a lot in the 700mhz auction block but right now Verizon has the best 4G LTE 700mhz spectrum.

Anywho, my iphone 4 and droid X on verizon both had great antennas and i never dropped a call. The only time (in the Chicagoland area) that i would lose service is when i traveled in my companies elevator to the 5th floor each day to work. I would make it 1 floor or 2 max with service and then it would cut.

Now with the iphone 4S i can literally go all the way from the lobby to our 5th floor with the doors shut (obviously) in the very center of our building (so behind like 6 or 7 walls to the outside and i will drop from 5 bars of reception to 3, maybe 2, but mostly 3!

Verizon may not have as fast a 3G data speed as ATT but I am absolutely LOVING the call reception and now owning the phone with the most advanced and upgraded antenna on the planet on the carrier that uses the best building penetrating spectrum, I AM UNSTOPPABBBBBLLLLLEEEEEE!

Ok, not really. I just love, love, love having reception everywhere even in elevators after coming from Tmobile a year ago and having pretty subpar reception and droppng at least one call a day. Obviously, YMMV/verizon isn't the best everywhere/other carriers are great in certain areas/etc :)

2. youngforever macrumors newbie

iPhone 4S on Verizon Can't be Stopped

I had a DroidX before (and BlackeBerry Storm I and II before then) and usually got 1 or 2 bars in my house. In fact, I had to hold my phone near the door if I wanted to have a clear conversation. Enter the iPhone 4S. I consistently get 3-4 bars at home and the sound quality is just awesome.

I love you, iPhone 4S!

3. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Who makes phone calls anymore? If I wanted to talk to my phone I'd use Siri to send a text... :p jk

4. Enrico macrumors 6502

Enrico

I noticed that Verizon has a lot more issues in high floors, compared to AT&T, at least here in Manhattan...

For example, at home on the 33rd floor I have very weak signal, whereas on the top of the Empire there is no signal at all.

5. Will69, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011

Will69 macrumors regular

I'm having the same experience with my new Verizon 4s.

I switched to Verizon because engineers at my job told me it had a better radio network. But still I took a risk because I really didn't know.

With AT&T I had four dead spots in my commute from my house to my job. With Verizon I have no dead spots. One of my favorite apps is tango, and now tango is better with voice and video than AT&T was with voice alone. I had both phones for three days so that I could do side-by-side comparisons.

No contest.

6. MacBreezy macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yeah fast is great as long as you have service. My new Verizon 4s has amazing service and great data speeds and the best parr is I don't have to worry where I'm at I just get on my phone and do what I need to do. It's a very nice change from AT&T.

7. Will69 macrumors regular

A lot of people in another thread where going on about how AT&T has faster theoretical data speeds than Verizon. I don't doubt that's possible, but I kept reiterating that if you're in a dead spot you're not going to get much data speed at all.

Some claim that they have great AT&T coverage in your area, and that's probably true, but certainly in my area I have many dead spots in my commute. Also, I've asked friends who are in their vehicle most of the day driving around (pharmacy reps), and they have a long "database" in their head about where there are dead spots on certain roads. Many of these friends are going to switch from AT&T to Verizon.

8. andross77 thread starter macrumors regular

Good to see you guys having similar experiences. A phone's primary use to me still is to have so that a family member (mainly my wife) can get a hold of me instantly in an emergency. games/facebook/gps/music/netflix/shopping/internet/alarm/calculator/foursquare/tweeting/etc are all second to that primary use.

I want all those other things and want them to be really nice (which they are on the iphone 4s) but those secondary things are worthless if i can't accomplish goal #1.

Oh and as a side note, another thing i love about the iphone 4S is that i'm set for about 12 months. I lol everytime i see a new android come out and all the guys that bought phone X are now complaining it has 100 less Mhz than the new phone Y.

Choices are good and i wish apple made a 2nd model with a keyboard (the ONLY thing keeping my wife from converting from android) but choices are not good when you are always a software update behind and a phone model behind the latest (at minimum). Ok, ramble over :D

9. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

huge improvement over AT&T for me. Don't regret the switch one bit

10. SoIsays macrumors regular

I recently switched to Verizon but I can't say its been perfect. I've had 3 calls drop on me in the few weeks of ownership I've had. It has happened in the Washington DC area in southern PG county, downtown DC, and Alexandria VA. It's really annoying to have a call drop while on the so called most reliable network. I didn't have 3 dropped calls until months into ownership with ATT.