Verizon iPhone 4S came with a SIM card?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hbah427, Nov 6, 2011.

1. hbah427 macrumors newbie

I had trouble activating my iPhone when it came in the mail on the 14th. It showed No service, and popped up a "SIM Failure" error every few minutes.

I couldn't understand why because I'd never needed a SIM card, being a CDMA user and all.

So I decided to open my SIM card slot and have a look.

Somehow, there was a SIM card installed in my iPhone that was causing all of my issues.

[​IMG]

Did anyone else have this problem? Anyone know anything about this?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

U should have a sim card that's normal. It's a verizon gsm world sim

3. whp4 macrumors newbie

Sim Failure

I've been getting those SIM Failure messages on my Verizon 4S as well. Yesterday it happened 3 times in a row. Previous to that just 2 times since I got the phone. I haven't even checked my SIM slot yet.

After you removed the card did those errors go away?

4. whp4 macrumors newbie

Removed Sim

Ok, I opened the slot and found a white Verizon Sim card as well. I removed it and phone is working fine. It has the same exact top and bottom numbers as in the photo above.

5. OptyCT macrumors 6502

Best thing to do is to get your iPhone working with the SIM card installed. To those who removed your SIM card, just visit your local Verizon store when you get a chance and have them do a reactivation with the SIM card installed. I had to do this. It took 5 minutes at Verizon.

6. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Is it possible to get the Verizon iPhone 4S activated and working without the Verizon SIM in the phone? When I remove it I lose my Verizon connection which makes no sense to me since Verizon is not a GSM network and shouldn't require a SIM at all.

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Sure, you just won't be able to roam internationally.

8. whp4 macrumors newbie

Try turning the phone off, then remove the SIM, then turn it back on. That's how I got mine working without the SIM.

9. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Oooh interesting, I'll try that. Thanks!

10. vwmontco macrumors newbie

Same issue with iphone 4s sim failure

I just got my iPhone 4s on 11/11/11 only to have to take it to Verizon the next day. The phone kept showing a message "sim failure" on the screen. Then, it would have no service until I restarted the phone. The Verizon rep removed and then re-inserted the sim card and then reactivated my phone. It seemed to work fine for about 3 days. Yesterday, the problem returned.

Has anyone found out if this can be corrected? This is my first iPhone, transitioned from the Android phones, and I was soooo excited. Now, I am starting to get frustrated. Because, I am afraid my phone will go into this "no service" mode without me knowing and I miss calls, texts or emails.

Thanks

11. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

If someone got a hold of this card could they use it to roam internationally on your account?

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yes. if you've tossed yours, call Verizon and have them remove the association of that SIM from your account.

13. GoodKarma1 macrumors newbie

Sounds like you bought a used phone that was tampered with. Verizon does not use a sim card. There is an international sim card installed that does not affect USA service. It is only for activation for international service.

14. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

15. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

Funny how the OP has -2 for asking a question.

God we are a pissy community.