Verizon iPhone 4S future

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by artcows, Jun 12, 2013.

1. artcows macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I've had my 4S for almost two years, and my contract with Verizon is going to end soon. I want to leave Verizon, but after some research, I found out that the phone will not work in any other carrier (unlocked or not), and will only be unlocked for international use. Also, my upgrade date is coming up in a couple of days.

So here are my questions:

1. What should I do with my 4S? Maybe have it unlocked and sell it to someone in a different country?

2. If I upgrade to the iPhone 5, will Verizon unlock it? And if they do, will I be able to take that unlocked 5 to Straight Talk or another prepaid carrier?

3. Should I wait for the 5S?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

1. You can sell it to another Verizon customer or to someone outside the US when Verizon unlocks it.
    2. Yes they will unlock it if you ask them but only for international GSM use. No US carrier will work with it.
    3. Its up to you, I think within a few months we should see the next iphone version.

3. artcows thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply!

Okay, yeah, I'll probably wait.

I've done countless searches, calculations, and everything, looking for the best plan... I came down to Straight Talk with the 5 or Virgin Mobile with the 4S (but I don't want to pay for another 4S)... Any ideas on what's the best way to go?

4. ItBeMe22 macrumors 6502

ItBeMe22

I have a Verizon 4 and took it to a phone place and now I use it on MetroPCS and it works great. :)

5. HiddenPuppy macrumors 6502

HiddenPuppy

The iPhone 5 from Verizon is already unlocked. It will work on other carriers, but not in LTE, just 3G.

You can take it to another carrier, but if you upgrade you agree to stay with Verizon for 2 years, how would you do away with Verizon service at that point.