Verizon iPhone 4S Global Sim Card?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghsNick, Oct 7, 2011.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

So I just went into my Verizon Store and Pre-Ordered my new iPhone 4S and everything went successful.

But they asked if I wanted to make it a "world" phone and buy a Global Data Plan SIM card?

I said no and didn't add it to my order...but what gives?

They advertise this thing like it's a world phone and I already have an Unlimited Data plan...but now there's a "Global" Data Plan.

A lot of small print I guess.

Just trying to warn other people if they think they're getting a Global Capable Phone on Verizon...there will be an extra charge for the SIM card World Data Plan.

2. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

So sounds like the Verizon phone will be sim locked to Vodafone, that's what their other "world phones" use for GSM coverage in other countries.

3. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Kinda stupid to market something a world phone on Verizon but leave out all the additional charges...and not to mention it can't run at 14 GBPS on Verizon either...I feel like they need to explain themselves a little more clearly.

But w/e...just pre-ordered a 16GB White iP4S :D

4. hexproject macrumors member

question is will they unlock it for you to roam globally

question is will they unlock it for you to roam globally?
    or will they lock your ass so you have to pay roaming charges...

i know that for the storm 2 on verizon, it's the same thing.
    But not sure if Verizon unlock the GSM part of the phone.
    And if they are willing to unlock during the 1st month or you have to wait until your contract is over..

seriously, carriers are really lame when it comes to this... people like me who travel... will not pay $200 for 200 MB of data when i can pop in a local one and get unlimited for $50 bucks for 30 days... lame..