Verizon iPhone 4S: GPS Improvement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LincolnsiPod, Oct 4, 2011.

1. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

One of the biggest disappointments I experienced with the Verizon iPhone was discovering that it used a different GPS chip that either by design was weaker than AT&T's dedicated chip and/or required app developers to patch their products due to issues in getting a GPS lock using a Verizon iPhone (whereas with AT&T no such issues presented itself.)

The only reason I'd upgrade to the 4S is upon assurance that the GPS design has been improved at least enough so that my Navigon app doesn't lose the GPS signal every 5 frigging minutes when I'm taking a trip somewhere, this on a clear blue day with me sticking my phone out the window up blue sky's butt praying to God for a GPS signal so I don't get lost in Wyoming.

I've been trying to find information on what GPS chip the 4S uses now, but all I've come up with is that it has "better GPS features." Wow, really specific there.

Does anyone have any more info that might help? I wonder how many Verizon users are also contemplating upgrading for any GPS improvement too.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

We, the consumers, won't know what kind of GPS chip the iPhone 4S uses until one is ripped open and examined.

PS: There is no Verizon iPhone 4S, only one iPhone 4S that will run on both kinds of networks.

3. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

That was another complaint I'd forgotten, the fragmentation already left Verizon users twisting in the wind waiting for iOS 4.3 only to never see it come. Ugh, at least that should be a non-issue now with the 4S.