Verizon iPhone 4S switches to the blue circle a lot

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slapple, Dec 2, 2011.

1. slapple macrumors 6502

I've had my Verizon iPhone 4S for a few days now, and it seems to switch from 3G to the blue circle (which means the slower 1xRTT) a lot. It can happen when I'm just sitting at my desk at work, so it's not like I'm moving around. Also, the last couple days I've held the iPhone in my hand during my 20 minute drive to work and it usually says 3G, but today during the entire drive to work it showed the blue circle. Makes me think something is wrong with the phone, and not Verizon. Why would locations that show 3G one day drop to the blue circle the next day? Or why would it switch from 3G to the blue circle when I'm just sitting at my desk? Anyone else have this problem?

EDIT: Hmm, one thing I've noticed a couple times now is that if my phone is showing the blue circle and then goes to the lock screen, and then I unlock it, it will show 3G again. Weird.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Try

Settings> General> Reset> Reset Network Settings

This will reset your connection with whatever tower your phone is currently on and maybe find a better connection with a different tower near by.

3. netslacker macrumors 6502

It will also clear all of your wifi networks and passwords...

4. slapple thread starter macrumors 6502

OK I just tried the Reset Network Settings, and my phone has already switched from 3G to the blue circle a couple times now while sitting at my desk.

5. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

Could be upgrading of towers or something. Happened to me on AT&T yesterday. It cut off from 3g for a while.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

The horror....

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's the network![tm]

No, seriously. you're probably on the edge of a coverage area that borders where where EVDO ends, and the remainder is still covered by 1X. There are still portions of the Verizon network that are not EVDO-covered.

Back when I tried out Verizon, I found out that I lived in an EVDO "donut hole," where all of the surrounding towers offered this ring of EVDO around my house, but I was just outside of their reach and could only get 1X where I lived. Rather frustrating.

Technically 1X still fits the definition of "3G," though obviously the speeds are way slower than what you'd expect.

8. cruisencode macrumors member

Try dialing *228 and then select option 2.

This will updated the PRL (Preferred Roaming List). That may help.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

My fiance has an iPhone on Verizon. You get this when you are out of network (as mentioned) or when you are on a call, or a call is coming through.

Question for the OP: Did you have the iPhone 4 (or any other smart phone) prior? The reason I ask is because I wonder if this is a NEW issue for you with this specific phone or not.

10. slapple thread starter macrumors 6502

Nothing happens when I dial *228, no ringing, and nobody answers.
    EDIT: OK, took several tries but got thru to *228, and they updated my PRL. We'll see if it works...

----------

I had the iPhone 3G on AT&T prior to getting the 4S on Verizon a few days ago.

11. cruisencode macrumors member

How long did you wait? I just tried it and it started to ring after a few second delay. Did you tap the "Call" button after dialing? :D

This is standard for all Verizon phones, not just iPhones.