Verizon iPhone 5 bad esn after receiving in trade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bugeyeblue, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Bugeyeblue macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

I'm someone who trades phones a lot. It's free and I can play with new phones every once in a while. I always do the trades at Verizon corporate stores to avoid problems.

2 months ago, I had a galaxy note 2 that I traded at a Verizon store for the iPhone 5 I'm using now. I've been using it since then with no problems. Today I went to a Verizon store to trade again, back to a note 2. When trying to so the trade with the store associate, he said my phone had been reported lost or stolen after getting it in the trade. For some unknown reason the phone still works, but we obviously couldn't finish the trade. My phone still works fine for me, but apparently will not ever be able to used on anyone else's line.

To most people, this probably doesn't matter. But to me, it's a problem for two reasons. One, I can never sell this phone for the value it would be if it were not reported lost or stolen. Secondly, I could never trade it for anything else or give it to any family member to use later or as a backup phone for myself.

What would you do? Call customer service and ask for a new phone? Call and say something isn't working to get a warranty replacement? Just keep it? Just curious what your thoughts are. In my opinion, they owe me a new phone since they moved my esn number to lost/stolen AFTER they activated it for me.

2. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Im not from the states so wouldnt know how to resolve this issue with the carriers but you always the option to sell to someone overseas were bad esn wouldnt be a problem.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its the risk you're taking when trading or buying used CDMA devices.
    It can be reported lost/stolen and then you're stuck.
    But like said above it can be used outside the US with any GSM carrier.

4. Bugeyeblue thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

I know what you mean about the risk, but if they activated the phone for me first, then it was reported lost/stolen after, isn't that on them?

5. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

It should be, you should go the same store you had the phone exchange and make then look into it, i assume they have those things on file.

6. Bugeyeblue thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

They do. I saw it on the employee iPad that was used to find all this out tonight. Maybe I'll try that. Thanks for the idea.

7. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

hate to say it but I think you're sol. If you try to get it replaced via some kind of warranty or exchange program the bad esn will come up and you'll be sol. sorry. If it was me I'd try to get a hold of the person you traded with and "negotiate" a solution

8. Bugeyeblue thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

I think this is a good idea. I don't think I would try to get a replacement through warranty, even though I know it was one of the options in my original post. I may just call customer service and explain what happened today and see what they say. Worst case scenario, I have a great condition iphone 5 that I have to use for another 12 months or so. Not such a bad deal. It was the phone I originally bought under my new contract anyway.
    Also, I don't have that person's information.

9. 617aircav Suspended

I would never trade phones like that just for the fun of it. So many things can be wrong with a phone that will not be seen instantly.

10. Bugeyeblue thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

I know. It seems crazy. But I've done it literally 20-30 times in the last 4-5 years and this is the first time I've ever had any problem.

11. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Are you saying there is no risk for used GSM devices?

12. Bugeyeblue thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

I wondered that too after reading that post but forgot to ask.

13. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

By risk what do you mean ?

14. Ann P macrumors 68020

Bad esn or reported/stolen phone problems. I don't buy or trade phones too often but I wonder this myself.

15. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

AT&T will block stolen phones but they have never blocked a phone because someone didn't complete their contract (as far as I know) like Verizon does.

T-Mobile does block any phone that has had a broken contract and they are too GSM.

16. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Well here gsm phones dont really get blacklisted, if you lost your phone or someone stole it you go to the police and file a report :) atleast 80% of phones get recovered and the other 20% are either sold for parts or sent in bulk to other countrys.

The 4s im typing got stolen/jacked from me january 5 and i got it back almost a month after along with my gf 4s :p

17. Luis2004 macrumors 6502a

No, it's not on them. If I steal your phone today and run to activate it tomorrow, and you haven't gotten around to reporting it stolen or trying to have it blacklisted, and my activation is successful, how is it their fault? If it's not a bad ESN at the time of activation, they have no fault. They might even think that you and the guy "trading" were in cahoots and stole it prior to coming to the store (I don't think this happened, mind you, I'm just saying they would consider it a possibility).

What solution? The guy isn't going to give back the Note II, if he even still has it, and he's not going to pay any money especially if it was an even swap with no money exchanged. Why should he? If I were him, I'd think the OP was trying to swindle me for some cash. I wouldn't bite.

Unless, of course, the guy the OP swapped with reported it stolen a few days or weeks after the trade. This has happened on occasion, where some jerk, just for kicks, reports a phone stolen after selling it for cash (no paper trail).

Some people are just sick, unfortunately.

18. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

19. Luis2004 macrumors 6502a

Did you read the thread?

Or the title?

20. Bugeyeblue thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

I see what you're saying about the fault not being theirs (Verizon's). In the end, that is probably what they're going to say to me. But, can't they verify that the person who reported it lost/stolen was the person I got the phone from (if indeed it was that person)? If it was, they would have a camera recording of him and I at the store together and digital proof of ESN swaps at the corporate Verizon store we met at. If that were the case, I still see the point that they may not do anything for me. But, couldn't they at least remove the phone I have now from the lost/stolen list?

On a separate note, would a bad ESN Verizon iPhone work with an AT&T sim card? I'm in no way looking to pawn this problem off on somebody without disclosing the info stated here, but I'm just curious if one day I did want to sell it if that would work.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Some good points being made here.

----------

I was about to ask the same thing.

21. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

Seems odd that it works still. Maybe try someone else's 4g lte sim and see what happens? 4g phones should be swappable by just removing the sim. I done this before and everything works fine (granted my devices have clean esns) but the device listed under my account never changes like it will on AT&T.

Also the phone is gsm unlocked so it will work with AT&T and TMO, they just won't get lte.

22. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

my devices change immediately on my account as soon as I swap a sim. But i agree if your phone is working I can't see why someone couldn't just pop their sim in it and it should work. You probably will just be losing official verizon support

----------

[​IMG]

23. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

It does seem a little crazy. Why switch so often?

I'd say try to work things out with the previous owner, see if they can do anything from their end. If not, try to sell it on ebay. You'll get less for a phone with a bad ESN, but at least you won't be out all your money.

24. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

They probably got sick of you flipping phones, amazed you've been able to do it that many times.

25. Luis2004 macrumors 6502a

Who would get sick of it? The Verizon store reps, for being his place of choice to meet strangers?

I don't get your comment. He trades phones with other private citizens on a frequent basis. It's not like he is returning the phone to a store a million times.

You guys have to freaking read.