Verizon iPhone 5 international LTE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maylen, Oct 29, 2012.

1. maylen macrumors member

Jan 12, 2011
    Guys, I read that the GSM band in the Verizon iPhone 5 is unlocked - does that mean that I can use LTE in Europe? My operator back home uses Band 3 (1800 MHz) which is supported.
    Also , what's the difference between A1429CDMA and A1429GSM? The CDMA supports all the GSM bands + sprint/verizon, so practically this is the most "world" out of the 3 models.
    From my understanding the models are as follow:
    A1428 - AT&T + Canada LTE / possibly 3G in Europe if unlocked.
    A1429GSM - Europe + Asia LTE
    A1429CDMA - all as the GSM + verizon/sprint and KDDI

So, should I jump on a Verizon iPhone 5 or should I go buy unlocked one from UK?
  2. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

Feb 12, 2012
    When I called Verizon last month to ask about international calls w my new iPhone 5, they said it will work in most major cities w 3G or 4G capabilities, it's just going to cost a lot. Lol $.99 minute and no special international phone plans to get temporarily.
  3. Jason99kr macrumors member

Nov 12, 2008
    Seattle, WA, USA
  4. maylen thread starter macrumors member

Jan 12, 2011
    You can get the CDMA only in US and Japan. They only sell the A1429GSM in Europe.
  5. muford macrumors newbie

Jun 18, 2013
    SmarTone (HK) Band 3 LTE not working with A1429CDMA

Bought a CDMA A1429 anticipating returning to Hong Kong, but found out after signing up for SmarTone service that LTE won't work, even though I can't find any reason why not. iPad mini A1455 eventually did begin working with SmarTone's LTE though it took a full reset and restore to get from 3G to LTE. Resetting and restoring the iPhone 5 displayed LTE for a few short seconds before falling back to 3G.

Seriously regretting not having bought the unlocked A1429 GSM half-model. :mad:
  6. Baggio macrumors 6502

Oct 18, 2012
    You may need to speak with carrier. Sometimes setting up LTE on the iPhone needs proper provisioning from your carrier. I use the AT&T version in the US, and I had to call them after I activated the phone as LTE was not working properly.
  7. themiltos1994 macrumors newbie

Jun 18, 2013
    I have exactly the same problem in europe.Only in my case it never showed any lte coverage!Any chance I can fix this?