Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ggibson913, Feb 11, 2014.

1. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

Hey guys, I know that since AT&T came out with the new plans many of you are like me and are considering making the switch from Big V to AT&T. I pulled the trigger last week and wanted to share the experience so far.

My mother, father and I are all on a single plan. With Verizon, we were paying for two smartphones and a basic phone 165 with 4GB of data. With AT&T, we pay 145 and 125 with my FAN discount and get 10 GB of data.

I had to buy my dad a new basic phone so I got him a go phone which they added to my account. My mother and I are using two iPhone 5's from Verizon wireless. I work in Northern NJ and live in NY (near West Point). All we literally had to do was go to AT&T and have our numbers ported over and a new SIM are put into the phone and move was complete.

I will have to pay an ETF to VZ of about $200 but will save that in a few months and since I brought three lines over, AT&T will credit me that amount anyway.

So the important stuff. Signal wise, I am actually making out BETTER than I was with Verizon. I can't believe it and am still waiting for the other shoe to drop but so far at all my places I go I am getting at least as good phone signal, and better Data signal.

I will say that with a Verizon iPhone 5, you are not going to get AT&T 4G LTE but you will get "4G" which we all identify as 3G plus. The data speeds are about 8 mbps as compared to the 12 mbps I was getting on Verizon LTE. I can live with that until the iPhone 6 comes along.

At work, I get better internet. Even though I am not on LTE, the time it takes a page to load is way faster than I had with Verizon. My mom lives in S NJ and she has not noticed any difference with her phone (except her part of the bill got smaller).

My per line fee is $15 for unlimited talk and text. To keep it that way, I need to buy my next phone outright, or use Next which is essentially AT&T interest free financing for 12 or 18 months. To total cost of Next ends up being retail for the phone. I don't mind keeping for two years or more so no biggie.

I have had AT&T in the past and experienced awful signal and data speeds but its seems AT&T has indeed improved their network around here and I have not experienced any slow downs. I am sorry for the back story, hope this helps other Verizon customers make their choice a better informed one.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

FYI, the next plan is split up into 20 or 26 payments, but you can pay it off at any time if you'd like.

3. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

just don't forget fees and tax they add to the account though

4. ggibson913 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

yeah but I figure the taxes and fees Verizon Vs AT&T should be simlar.