Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xb2003, Feb 26, 2017.

1. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

I was just given a Verizon iPhone 5. It was my understanding that at the point of the iPhone 5, the iPhones either supported the bands for CDMA or GSM. I stuck the sim from my Unlocked iPhone 6 in it just for the heck of it, and it worked. For like 2 hours. Now it is saying no service. If I pop the sim out and back in or do a power cycle, it comes back up for like 30 seconds (with 3-4 bars, which is what my iPhone 6 gets), and then it goes to No Service.

Any ideas what is going on?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, any verizon LTE iphone will work on any GSM carrier in the world.
    From the iphone 5 and above they are all fully unlocked out the box without the customer having to do anything.
    It should definately work with an AT&T sim.
    Im not sure why it worked for only 2 hours and then say no service. The only reason I would think it would say no service is if the device its blacklisted.

3. xb2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

xb2003

Ok, so it was the 5. (Contrary to how I worded the first post) I had thought it was the 5s. Anyways.. I can't imaging this device is blacklisted. It's basically brand new.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, its very weird how it worked fine for over 2 hours and then stopped all of a sudden and you get no service.
    I'd contact Apple to verify that the device is not reported lost/stolen.

5. rzc16512 macrumors regular

Call att and ask them to update your IMEI with that of the iPhone 5. That should fix it. Also not sure if this was mentioned but you won't get LTE on att wth the VZ iPhone 5
    --- Post Merged, Feb 26, 2017 ---
    Apple doesn't control carrier blacklists.

6. xb2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

xb2003

It said it had LTE.. can it say it and not actually pull it?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct, but I thought they could tell you if its blacklisted.
    Either that or call AT&T and see if its blacklisted or why its telling you no service. You shouldn't have to give AT&T your IMEI to use an unlocked device with your sim though so something is not right IMO.

8. xb2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

xb2003

So I called Apple, nothing. I'll call AT&T tomorrow, see what they say.

What I have noticed is that it will stay connected to AT&T's network while I am actively using the device. If I lock it for about 30 seconds, it goes to no service. This explains the 2 hours straight it worked earlier, because I was streaming music while I drove.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's so weird.
    If it was blacklisted it shouldn't work at all and would instantly say no service.
    Wonder if it's a hardware fault?
    I'm running out of guesses :)

10. xb2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

xb2003

I know this phone worked fine.. It was my Aunt's backup phone on Verizon. Its had service since it was bought new but has not really ever been used. Looks brand new.

I'm going to call ATT tomorrow. It really seems to me like they are doing something funky on their end.

Although, the reason I took the phone is because I was considering buying an SE, and I was trying to decide if I like the 6 size or the smaller size better, and I've already determined that I like the bigger one. haha
    --- Post Merged, Feb 26, 2017 ---
    This phone is definitely a 5s. I don't know why I kept putting 5.

11. Charadis macrumors 6502a

When I was using a Verizon 5 on ATT for a few years, LTE would not work - it would only show 4G (HSPA+). I took a trip to Dallas a couple years ago, however, and lo and behold LTE popped up.

I'm assuming ATT may be using a supported LTE band in certain areas, but someone more knowledgeable on the topic may chime in.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 27, 2017 ---
    Well this might explain it then lol :)

12. xb2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

xb2003

AT&T just told me that sim cards are phone specific. If I want to make the new one work, I have to go to an AT&T store and get a sim for it, and then I can call and switch the activation between the two devices. She also kept trying to tell me that if I switch my sim cards around that I will damage my phones and that is probably what my problem is.

So beings she gave me two completely different solutions that can't really exist together, I'm thinking that the whole this is a bunch of horse maneuver. And on top of that, I have been switching sim cards between phones for forever and never had a problem until now.

Do you think there is anything I can do short of marching down to an AT&T store?

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    You will damage the phone if you switch sims? WTF?
    Do you have an iphone plan on that AT&T sim cards line and also iphone data plan included with that sim card line?

14. xb2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

xb2003

Yeah I know, it was the dumbest thing I've ever heard them say.. and AT&T has been know to say some pretty dumb things. Like when they told me that my DirecTV On Demand would work without a home internet connection. (I suppose they could put a cable modem in the cable box and make that work, but we all know they don't).

Anyways, I have a data plan with them and currently use an iPhone 6. I see no reason why pulling the sim out and putting it in a 5S should be so much of an issue.

15. jetsam macrumors 6502

To that AT&T rep I say "Bolshoi!" People swap SIMs between AT&T phones (even dissimilar phones) all the time.

A (probably useless) thought: Were both phones powered down when you did the swap? I've been told SIM cards are not hot-swappable, and I've never put it to the test.

Your best bet is to take the phone down to an AT&T corporate store. A new SIM card may fix the issue, though not for the reasons the AT&T rep told you over the phone. Sometimes it's just voodoo.

16. xb2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

xb2003

I have not powered down the phones when doing the swap, but I have cycled the 5S a few times after the swap. It has never made a difference. I have never had a problem hot swapping sims, and my 6 accepts it just fine while powered on. But I'll try having them both powered down just for the heck of it.

My next step was to try a different sim.. its just a 30 minute drive so I figured I'd try everything else first.

17. jetsam macrumors 6502

Another probably useless idea (I've got a million of 'em):

After you've had the SIM in the 5S for a couple of hours, have you checked OLAM to see what phone (if any) it thinks is on that line?

18. xb2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

xb2003

No, I have not been the patient. Right now, I'm too busy to be without a phone for that long.. I guess I could stick it in the 5S before I go to bed and see what happens.

19. jetsam macrumors 6502

I think, ultimately, you're going to end up at an AT&T corporate store, where, hopefully, a new SIM card will solve the problem.

Enjoy the pitch for DirecTV. ;)

20. xb2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

xb2003

That's what I'm kind of thinking. I guess I was just hoping someone would come along and be like "oh, your [insert dumb overlooking here] is out of date. Fix that" and then all is well.

We already have it, so they are going to have to save their evangelism for the next sucker.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

"Bolshoi!"? Damn auto-correct?

22. jetsam macrumors 6502

I actually typed "Bolshoi," in tribute to the OP's use of "horse maneuver." :)

23. xb2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

xb2003

Can you define Bolshoi? Because the only thing I can find is some theatre in Russia. I figured it was autocorrect as well. haha
    --- Post Merged, Feb 27, 2017 ---
    Wait. I found it. It's a horse show.

I'm really not much of a horse person.

24. rzc16512 macrumors regular

I had to do that with my iPhone 6...it randomly stopped working and saying no service when I switched the sim in from my iphone 5 to the 6...the line somehow got provisioned incorrectly by the system.

Technically you shouldn't have to but sometimes you do have to.

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you, it doesn't make any sense bro :)