Verizon iPhone 5 on T-Mobile...how fast will it be?

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
I've got a two year old iPhone 5 that is just about to finish it's contract with Verizon. I'm curious what kind of speeds will I get on T-Mobile (the coverage here is excellent and I don't travel). I understand that I won't get 4g speeds but will I get 3g speeds or will I be relegated to edge network speeds?

Has anyone made this move and are you happy with the speeds?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I've got a two year old iPhone 5 that is just about to finish it's contract with Verizon. I'm curious what kind of speeds will I get on T-Mobile (the coverage here is excellent and I don't travel). I understand that I won't get 4g speeds but will I get 3g speeds or will I be relegated to edge network speeds?

You'll only get HSPA+ speeds, the iPhone will show "4G". They should be pretty fast.

bruce0987

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014

I've made the move with a 5 and the speeds are a significant step down from LTE to 4G HTPA+ or whatever, for me is from average 30mbp 15 down to average 15 down 10 up. Overall noticeably slower but not unbearable, definitely liveable. The surprising improvement was the significant better service in buildings and building penetration. I'm getting a 6+ so obviously will be seeing LTE speeds similar to Verizon.

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
I've made the move with a 5 and the speeds are a significant step down from LTE to 4G HTPA+ or whatever, for me is from average 30mbp 15 down to average 15 down 10 up. Overall noticeably slower but not unbearable, definitely liveable. The surprising improvement was the significant better service in buildings and building penetration. I'm getting a 6+ so obviously will be seeing LTE speeds similar to Verizon.

There is an upside to the drop off with t-mo compared to the drop off with Verizon in that HSPA is much faster than 3G. I was on Verizon and when reception drops to 3G the phone is almost unusable. Though I have to admit the drop off did not happen often with Verizon.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
depends on the area. Still the bulk of T-Mobiles network is Edge with blazing 60k speeds
I guess you missed the OP's comment: the coverage here is excellent and I don't travel

No point in paying the $1000/yr extra Verizon premium for coverage in places you'll never go.

AlexxRyzhkov

macrumors regular
May 17, 2014
Not sure how the Verizon iPhones are, but my Att iphone 5 which I unlocked gets really good LTE speeds where I live, about 40-50 Mbps. Tmobile is not that great in terms of coverage in my area though