Verizon iPhone 5 on T-Mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by AllMacNow, Aug 11, 2014.

1. AllMacNow, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014

AllMacNow macrumors newbie

My Verizon account is still active while trying out tmobile sims. The Tmobile signal is not up to par and dropping calls at home. Signal coverage map shows good signal. Tmobile tech said that a verizon or ATT iPhones will never work as well as a Tmobile phone. Apple Care level 3 tech support confirmed that the EMEI is still locked to verizon and there is no escape. Even though the phone is contract free, paid for, "unlocked by Verizon" and mine Verizon still controls it and will not let me have full capacity on another carrier.

Is there an unlock or jail brake that will free up my phone?

Thanks

2. campyguy macrumors 68040

Try 3 things. I've got two iPhone 5s (not 5S), a iPad 3 and Air - all on VZW data plans. I've used T-Mo and ATTWS SIMs in each of them, sometimes it takes a bit of patience. I'm buying SIMs tomorrow for a couple of trips I'm taking later this week.

1. With the T-Mo SIM in the iP5, restart the phone by powering it down and up again. Restart it a second time if reception isn't any better.

2. Use the Reset Network Settings command.

3. Switch the device's APN by using the http://unlockit.co.nz/ web site from the device - I have only used Mobile Safari. Visit that site on a PC/Mac browser to read up first; the mobile browser has different features. I've used this site on my iPad 5 and one of my iPhones - it's slick and it works. I use the site to switch my APN back to VZW when I'm done.

After either 2 or 3, I'd suggest a restart and a short wait - the network carrier settings can take a short time to populate, it's not necessarily quick to occur, so a bit of patience helps here.

3. AllMacNow thread starter macrumors newbie

All already done. As for the APN, The phone has working data so this may not be applicable.

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Verizon iPhone 5 on T-Mobile

What are last 4 digits of your serial number?

You probably don't fully support TMo frequencies. I had that problem with my ATT iPhone 5.

----------

These models weren't available until around March 2013. If you bought at launch, no dice.

5. AllMacNow thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You got tons of bad/wrong info from both tmobile and Apple.
    As soon as you take out the verizon sim and use the tmobile sim inside that i5 then your verizon account is unlinked and verizon is not controlling nothing.
    All verizon iphone 5 and 5S models are fully unlocked for any GSM carrier so there no hacking unlocking or jailbraking needed.
    You just have bad tmobile service in your area that's all.
    You can do the 1 week free test drive from tmobile and they will give you a 5S to test their network. You will most likely get the same results.
    That's all.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

There are some frequency/band differences between the Verizon iPhone 5 and some other iPhone 5 phones and certainly any 5S or 5C phones.

8. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

the 5c and 5s phones are the better models and support all of t-mobile's frequencies. the 5c and 5s have up to 14 or 15 channels. they should work fine with tmobile. except maybe the new 600 or 700 mhz ?? channels they are rolling out. even if someone feels that the 5C is not worth an update , it still is a good update because it has the same world LTE radio thats in the 5s,iPad air and iPad mini retina

the sprint version only has 1 channel more then the verizon models.

the iPhone 5 are older phones and only have 4 lte channels
    i believe the verizon iPhone 5 will support t-mobiles "4G" network which in some areas can be faster then AT&T's lte

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct.
    Most early iphone 5 models wont work on most of Tmobiles 3G bands unless in a refarmed areas.
    The latest iphone 5 models had all AT&T and Tmobile 3G bands. And all the 5S and 5C support all US GSM 3G bands and LTE.

Very well explained and in more detail than me above:)

10. jrana macrumors newbie

i have iphone 5 A 1429 and not able use other sim card (india). As you said its unlocked internationally . What could i be missing .. Any clues??

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's probably a sprint iPhone 5 and not a verizon one.

12. jrana, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

jrana macrumors newbie

I have checked it , it's verizon .

Checked with swappa and got it confirmed from verizon global helpdesk.

Please help me out here , feeling like stuck

http://oi57.tinypic.com/1fjxpy.jpg

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not sure what to tell you.
    All verizon iphone 5 models are gsm unlocked and will work with any gsm carrier in the world.
    Not sure why yours its not.
    I know Sprint and verizon share the same model number.

14. Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

I just want to use the tmobile sim card in the verizon iphone for data - so I can use it for my google voice calls. I don't want the tmobile voice or texting.