Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drnscr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
Help. I apologize if this has been asked/answered already but, here goes. I'm going to travel to Germany due to a family emergency and would like to get a German nano SIM card to put in my phone to use while i'm in Germany to avoid monstrous roaming charges. Is this possible or does anyone have a suggestion? I'm assuming it's as simple as popping the Verizon nano SIM out and replacing it with a German sim...

thank you in advance

chuck

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
If the Verizon phone is unlocked than yes. You can just pop the old sim out and put the new one in.

drnscr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
Thank you all

Thanks for the reply. One last question, in terms of obtaining the micro sim for my i5 and a nano sim for my iPad 4, any recommendations as to what vendor to use?

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
Thanks for the reply. One last question, in terms of obtaining the micro sim for my i5 and a nano sim for my iPad 4, any recommendations as to what vendor to use?

the iPhone 5 should be a nano SIM too if I remember right

Klatti

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2012
Germany

well, in germany there are basically 2 big networks. On the one hand there is T-Mobile and on the other hand Vodafone. Both have prepaid plans.
If you want great network coverage you should definitely consider one of them.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
im going to iceland in june, so ive been researching the same thing.

basically, most airports have kiosks where you can buy pre-paid starter packs on the cheap. when you land, head to the nearest vodafone or tmobile kiosk (or 3rd party reseller) in the airport and they should be able to help you out. and yes, its as easy as popping out your verizon sim and putting in your pre paid.

or........

spend the extra cash (usually alot more than prepaid) and just activate international roaming on your verizon sim. seeing how vodafone is part owner of verizon wireless, they may have some international roaming deals. i checked it out on verizons website, and its pretty steep vs local sim. the only positives of this is that you wont need to change sim cards, you will have your same number and it will just tack it onto your verizon bill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.