Carrier Verizon iPhone 5 use in Israel

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zmanbaseball2, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Hi,
    My sister is going to Israel for a 10 day trip for college ("birth right" trip for those who have heard of it). I'm trying to figure out what is the best/cheapest plan on version for her to use in Israel.
    If this helps:
    She is part of my plan that has 4 smartphones and each one has 2gb of data per smartphone and one has unlimited. She is one of the 2gb plans.

Please help if you can and please ask me if you need anymore info.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm sure Verizon has international data and voice pricing. You can call and ask them about it.

Alternatively, look into which local carriers are available and buy a prepaid SIM card and pop it into the phone. Her Verizon iPhone is carrier unlocked for domestic and international use.

3. I7guy macrumors G5

There are websites based in Brooklyn that cater to this specific requirement. Do a web search maybe talk n' save...don't remember.

http://www.talknsave.net/

You put a deposit down, they send you the phone and the rates are very reasonable. There are some conditions. See the website.

4. Jades macrumors 6502

Birthright partners with a cell phone rental company. Forgot their name. But have your sister call birthright and ask about it. By now she should've received a few emails about it
    They will rent her an actual SIM card with a talk, text, and unlimited data plan

That's your cheapest and quickest option

5. lpm macrumors newbie

Same situation

Zmanbaseball2:

I was wondering what you found out and decided to do. My situtation is basically the same thing; I'll be heading out on a birthright israel trip next month, so what you guys wound up going with would be very helpful to know. By the way, I have an iPhone 5s.
    Thanks

6. Zmanbaseball2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

My sister did not go to Israel yet so no decision yet. Sorry. She cancel the birthright trip because it was during the time when all the missiles were being launched at Israel.

7. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

The Verizon iPhone 5 is unlocked for GSM carriers. She could easily buy a prepaid SIM over there and pop it in to use. She'd have a different phone number, but then you don't have to deal with Verizon BS. SIM cards should be available in the Tel Aviv airport. Signal strength will vary depending on what bands the carrier uses over there.

Hope she enjoys it! My boyfriend went last year and loved it. He's still in touch with a lot of the people he met, both Americans and Israelis. When he went he was going to take advantage of T-Mobile's new international policies, but he lost his phone in the Kansas City airport before he got over there :rolleyes: Thankfully he got his phone back, but finding wifi to Facetime with his iPad was tricky.