Verizon iPhone 5c...is it unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by avoidandroid, Mar 17, 2014.

1. avoidandroid macrumors member

I have a Verizon 5c and want to use it on either tmobile or at&t. WIll it work and would I get LTE, if available, or only 3G/4G? Thanks

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Everything with LTE on Verizon will be unlocked... forever.

I presume you will get LTE on it too, though I will let someone else chime in there.

3. avoidandroid thread starter macrumors member

Thanks......I went to a mall kiosk and the tmobile guy was telling me I would have to buy a tmobile version to get LTE service. He says my Verizon 5c would work on tmobile but it would not get LTE.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

My wifes Verizon 5s functions perfectly, including LTE, on AT&T.

5. avoidandroid thread starter macrumors member

I'm more wondering about the Verizon 5c model and not the 5s.

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

same. it'll work fine.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The link containing the chart I posted encompasses both models. (short answer, yes, it will work fine on LTE)

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its a Mall kiosk cellphone guy.
    You really believed he knew what he was talking about?:D

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The 5s and 5c have essentially the same radio setup. They both work fine, including the LTE.

10. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for the posts!

11. DrunkinMacbook macrumors member

Well some verizon phones dont have sim cards so if it dont it is permenent locket to it.

12. P A U L macrumors member

MacRumors members > T-Mobile associate.

;)

13. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

uhm YES.

Unlocked means u can use it in any carrier. DUH. LOLOL

14. aneftp macrumors 68040

I wanted to add to the point that all current Verizon LTE phones are unlocked:

But you need to realize why Apple doesn't let carriers F with their software:

The reason is why the Verizon iPhone 5c and 5S (and even the Verizon iPhone 5) are so nice is that they "just work". You aren't limited by Verizon's crap they put on their Android and Windows Phone.

What do I mean by this?

Verizon "locks" down the APN of their Android phones and to a certain extend their Widows Phones. So while their Android and Windows LTE phones are "unlocked" for GSM use. You can make/receive calls and SMS without issues.

Verizon makes those phones trick to start using data and especially MMS. You usually have to root Verizon Android phones to change the MMS settings. It's just another layer of crap Verizon does.

Windows phone for Verizon is even worse. On their "unlocked" Nokia Lumia phones, MMS is simple not usable on other GSM carriers. Either you can't send/receive MMS or receive MMS using unlocked Verizon Windows Phones. And this is even with the Nokia APN software that configures it for you.

Rule of thumb: Buyer beware with using "unlocked" Verizon phones that are not Verizon iPhone 5C/5S/5

15. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

Thanks! I am looking to buy my 5S back at a discount or decide if I should just wait and see what the new models will be featured. The discount vary from auction to auction and the one that was "new" and went for $540 with 64GB cannot be had anymore - at least I cannot get it! LOL!

So I might buy a 4" 2014 if it is updated: A8, 802.11ac LTE 6, etc.... if Apple updates this size.