Verizon iPhone 5s 250MB plan

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by zeppo2, Aug 31, 2014.

1. zeppo2 macrumors member

Currently I am with AT&T but not under contract.

If I walk into Apple and buy the unlocked Verizon iPhone 5s with a contract, how long does it take before I can start using that phone via Verizon? Am I up and running before I leave there?

This may be a stupid question for all I know. I have been with AT&T since I got my first cell phone in the 1990's. I have never had a smart phone.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Get ready to pay lots of data overages.
    250mb is nothing.
    Most can use that up in less than an hour.

3. zeppo2 thread starter macrumors member

Can I not avoid data overages by turning off access to the web (and not setting up email) unless it is with wifi?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can go to settings/cellular and turn off cellular data.
    This way it will use just wifi.
    Or scroll down on that cellular data section and go to "Use Cellular Data for:"
    there you can turn off apps that you don't want to use cellular data at all.
    Gotta be careful though, the iphone is a data hog. And when we all first get it we want to try all the features and apps thus using up lots of data when away from wifi and that can get costly especially on such a low amount of data plan you have.

5. zeppo2 thread starter macrumors member

In my case, I already have an iPod Touch, so I already have played around with the apps. I suppose I would miss out on using SIRI, for whatever that is worth, unless that can be used with wifi. If it turned out I wanted to start using data, I could change my plan. But I don't think I'll care to do so.

My main reason for considering the iPhone over another iPod is it would consolidate my phone and iPod Touch, instead of carrying two devices. Carrying the two really isn't that bad anyway, but if I can get the phone contract low enough, I might consider it worth $10 a month to consolidate them, maybe even $15/mo. If its going to cost me more than that, I may just get the iPod again and switch over to an even cheaper plan like Cricket.

6. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Yes you can use Siri with wifi. I wouldn't get a package with 250mb since I think 2gb is min but if you don't use much data then go ahead.

7. zeppo2 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the info.

After doing a lot of browsing last night, I think I know the answer to the thread question as well. So I am going to start another thread with a more relevant subject line to some other questions I have.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes. They will activate the phone while you are there and you will walk out with a live phone.