Verizon iPhone 5s - simultaneous hotspot and voice connection

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FederalSystems, Nov 9, 2013.

1. FederalSystems macrumors newbie

Wanted to check with someone who has the latest iPhone 5s on verizon if Apple now supports simultaneous hotspot and voice connections. Meaning that the phone does not drop the data connection when a call in made or comes to the phone.

thanks in advance.

2. theanimala macrumors 6502

No, it doesn't. One thing I was hoping was going to change from my iPhone 5 to 5s.

3. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

unfortunately it does not work simultaneously..

4. thekb macrumors 6502a

This is something that definitely needs to be fixed. It's on my list of reasons why I *might* switch to Android.

5. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

This is not an iPhone issue. This is a CDMA issue. Which is Verizon and Sprint. GSM models are capable of doing simultaneous voice and data, which is AT&T and T-Mobile. Switch to a GSM carrier and you will be able to do this.

6. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

No that's incorrect it's an iPhone issue at this point. Radio only does one connection at a time. Most if not at android phones on Verizon do voice and data (3G SVDO and 4G LTE)

7. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

link?

8. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

9. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Believe it or not this is a trick question. Almost every Verizon LTE Phone (except iPhones) can do data and phone calls at the same time because the manufactures off these phones include an extra antenna that is able to pull data from LTE while the other antenna handles voice. Basically Apple did not include this antenna. Now here comes the trick part of the question. Because the iPhone 5s comes automatically unlocked (some LTE band ruling) you can actually use a Verizon iPhone 5s on t-mobile or AT&T out the box and pull data at the same time when using voice. I just tried it using t-mobile prepaid and it works.
    This is why the resell value for the Verizon iPhone 5s will be higher than a iPhone that comes locked especially one from Sprint; we have CDMA and access to GSM networks out the box; no unlocking is necessary.

10. apollo1444, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013

apollo1444 macrumors 65816

I see, but the way things are going it seems like Sprint and Verizon need to adapt to Apple not Apple to Verizons or to Sprint, meaning Apple will just wait and do nothing. AT&T will suppose to release voice over LTE very soon

The preasure is on Verizon to roll out Voice Over LTE so customers on that network can both surf and talk at the same time with newer and better audio technology, it seems logical than to attach another antenna to the iPhone, modify the internals, use more battery life and deliver worse quality voice calls over EVDO (3G)