Verizon iPhone 5s simultaneously used with another GSM operator

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by celo48, Oct 31, 2013.

1. celo48 macrumors 6502a

Can you use your 5s with Verizon service and at the same time with another GSM operator's SIM Card, say Rogers? I doubt it but just wanted to know since I could not find this info online.

Is it Verizon or Rogers?
    OR
    Is it Verizon and/or Rogers?

2. iphone46 macrumors regular

No. The LTE Verizon SIM must be inserted in order to get Verizon service. This applies to all Verizon 4G LTE phones.

3. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Yes you can. The Verizon 5s is SIM unlocked so you can swap between the Verizon SIM and Rogers.

4. Fedmahn Kassad macrumors regular

It seems as if the OP is asking whether he can simultaneously use a Verizon and a GSM service.

If he means having two providers active at the same time (either using 2 sim cards at once or using a GSM sim on a phone paired with non-LTE Verizon), then no, whether or not he uses a Verizon sim.

If he means being able to switch between two providers, like Verizon and Rogers, whenever he feels by switching the cards, then yes.

Hopefully at least one of us interpreted his question correctly lol.

5. celo48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes! I did not know you have to use a SIM card for Verizon. I have never used Verizon but I always heard since they were not a GSM provider, they did not use SIM cards. Then the question is stupid because I did not know this.

6. iphone46 macrumors regular

They are still technically not GSM. The SIM is only used for 4G LTE phones for connecting the phone to the network and 4G data access. Soon, however, voice over LTE will begin to rollout and then the SIM card will serve more of a purpose. Non 4G LTE phones such as the 4S and 4(on Verizon), do not require a SIM card.

7. cnotes2019 Suspended

Verizon iPhone 5s simultaneously used with another GSM operator

Simultaneously possibly if you use a dual sim adapter such as magic sim (I've not tried them so not sure how good they are to be honest)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

8. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

I think that I am going to pickup one those and see how it does

9. cnotes2019 Suspended

Be cautious as I believe they are resellers of that product out of Asia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

10. celo48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So, is there any way to use a Verizon 5s with their prepaid plan without a SIM card? Just lower data speeds and voice. No 4G LTE.

11. Fedmahn Kassad macrumors regular

I'm not quite sure that it's possible to even use non-sim Verizon service on the 5S; I mentioned that more for illustration purposes than anything.

Why not just get the Verizon service and switch sims when necessary? The only advantage to being able to use 2 is the convenience - if you're between Canadian/US zones for work and want to avoid overages, see if either provider has an international plan add-on like what T-Mobile offers.

12. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

No, if you take the Sim out cell services won't work.