Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EEMAN13

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2013
Why is bestbuy selling the 128gb Verizon 6 for $899? It seems like it's $850 everywhere else, but best buy employees are claiming apple sets the price. It's $850 off contract on Verizon's site itself...

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
Why is bestbuy selling the 128gb Verizon 6 for $899? It seems like it's $850 everywhere else, but best buy employees are claiming apple sets the price. It's $850 off contract on Verizon's site itself...

Because Best Buy likes to rip people off. In most cases (the three times I've tried at least) Best Buy will price match Apple. I've had them price match iPhone 5s's three times (twice in store, once over the phone) - of course this may be harder to do with a newly launched device like the 6/6+, but it never hurts to try. They don't *have* to price match, because their terms say they don't price match contract phones, but if you press the whole "I'm not GETTING a contract" thing, they may or may not allow the price matching. I like[d] to use BBY as they offered the 18 months no interest with my card, I'd have it paid off well before then, but it was a nice way to get it now, and pay it off, without interest, later.

EEMAN13

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2013
I went into a Verizon phone today and said I wanted to buy an iphone 6 off contract, and they said it would cost $850...great!

Then they said I could not leave the store without activating it (for a fee of course) and running a credit check on me....

All I want to do is buy an unlocked phone outright that will work on both CDMA and GSM.

Leh sigh....

I suppose I'll have to visit the apple store when I get a chance.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I have never heard of Best Buy charging an activation fee for a device. Not implying anything about your story, but that's rather peculiar.

You can always call corporate on the spot. I have done that more than once when I wasn't being taken care of properly.

skywalkerr69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
New York
Best Buy charges an extra $50 for all of their iPhones. Just pull up the apple website and show them the price difference and they will match it. They did the same thing when I bought my iPhone 5 from them.

EEMAN13

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2013
It is Verizon (at a retail verizon store) that wanted the activation fee.

I decided not to purchase it from Best Buy either since they are charging $50 more than everywhere else.

hudson1

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
any way to get a verizon iphone via store pick up at apple if you're not a verizon customer? I've read about some people doing it but it makes you sign up for a plan on apple's website..

If you go to an Apple store and ask for a Verizon (or ATT) phone "device only", they will gladly sell you the phone at full retail price and send you on your merry way without any activation. I did it myself yesterday.

EEMAN13

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2013
what's the difference between the verizon model and the tmobile off contract model?

From my somewhat simplistic understanding of the subject...

The unlocked Tmobile model will work on any GSM network, but will not work on Verizon.

The Verizon model (which is only sold as unlocked, even from Verizon itself) will work on Verizon and any GSM network.

Someone please correct me if this is wrong.

bugelrex

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
If you go to an Apple store and ask for a Verizon (or ATT) phone "device only", they will gladly sell you the phone at full retail price and send you on your merry way without any activation. I did it myself yesterday.

Did you buy Verizon or At&t? I'm confident Verizon will be unlocked, but not too sure about at&t. Hopefully buying "device only" verizon is a store policy and not a lax employee.

EEMAN13

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2013
I suppose I will have to go to an apple store. I stopped by bestbuy after getting confirmation they would price match apple. I swiped my card to pay and then they said they would have to activate the phone. Why will these places not let me leave the phone without activating it on the verizon network?

Long story short, I had the payment voided.

AbeFrohman

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
I suppose I will have to go to an apple store. I stopped by bestbuy after getting confirmation they would price match apple. I swiped my card to pay and then they said they would have to activate the phone. Why will these places not let me leave the phone without activating it on the verizon network?

Long story short, I had the payment voided.

I don't know if this is a new thing for Best Buy or not. I bought a 5S on release date and walked out with it still sealed in plastic. They asked if I wanted help setting it up. I said nope and just walked out with it to set it up myself later.

If they have the model/capacity/color you're after, try again with a different employee or speak to a manager. I find it hard to believe they'd turn down a sale of several hundred dollars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.