Verizon iPhone 6 band/LTE in China - help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dhowe45, Oct 21, 2014.

1. dhowe45 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I am currently in China and am trying to order an iPhone 6+ from USA (as it is much cheaper there). I am just concerned about which model to get? I have an upgrade with Verizon so I can save some money, however they cannot guaruntee it will work here with China Mobile. However, I did bring my American iPhone 4S here before and it did work, but that was not 4G. Although the Verizon phone is said to be unlocked, I have been told that only the unlcoked model A1524. Does anyone have any information on this? Will the Verizon iPhone 6+ work here, and if so, will it be slower on the China Mobile network? Anything else I should know or be asking? Thanks guys..

2. dhowe45 thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone? I need some help with this guys if anyone has any insight...

3. dextr3k macrumors 6502

US version is the only version that does not have the TD-LTE bands for China Mobile.

Even China Unicom FDDLTE (same as AT&T) is not up and running yet.

https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

If you want LTE don't buy US Version.

4. dhowe45 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. So, even if I buy the A1524 version from the US that is unlocked and supports all China bands it still will not be the same? Just want to confirm as I will purchase soon. I am also not sure which model nuber the T-Mobile unlocked version from Verizon is, I will have to check with them.

5. terraphantm macrumors 68040

A sprint one should work. They're internationally unlocked if you pay full price. Only the sprint is A1524 here; the rest are A1522

6. dhowe45 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the responses. I guess the only downfall to buying the discounted verizon phone is that I may not be able to use LTE in China. But still should work? I'd like to avoid paying full price, at the risk of losing LTE.

7. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Correct, even if you aren't able to use the LTE, it will work in China for the 3G/4G network.

8. cjake, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

cjake macrumors member

I used a prepaid SIM card from China Unicom in my Verizon iPad Mini during a recent trip to Beijing.

No LTE, but 3G worked for email, Apple Maps (All things Google are blocked in China), and occasional web browsing. LTE on any of the China networks would require support for TDD-LTE band 41 and only the Sprint versions do that.

I was able to use a China Unicom SIM as they use the 3G UTMS 2100 frequency which the US versions of iPad and iPhone support. But I believe that China Mobile was assigned the China-developed standard called TD-SCDMA. And I don't know if any US iPhone supports TD-SCDMA.