Verizon iPhone 6+ unlocked cheaper than T-Mobile unlocked? What am I missing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xanith, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Xanith macrumors newbie

So, as far as I can tell it seems you could order the Verizon iPhone 6 Plus 64gb for cheaper than the T-Mobile version if you are looking for an unlocked device. What am I missing here? Are there hidden/additional fees Verizon would be charging?

Verizon Initial Phone Payment: $399
    Verizon 1 month of service: $60
    Verizon ETF Fee: $350

Total: $809.00

T-Mobile: $849.00

Since the Verizon phone would seemingly offer better resale value I am thinking about getting that unless there is something I missed.

2. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

Carriers frown upon doing what you are talking about here. Your first month of service would be more like $65-$70 after taxes and fees, there is also an activation fee of $30 per line. So you're not saving much for all the headache.

Also, I don't think the resale value between the two models is much at all. Most unlocked iPhone 5s's sell for right around the same as the Verizon versions do. I think you're overthinking this.

3. BruiserB macrumors 65816

You're probably just missing the hassle factor of having to do all of that. Plus having VZ possibly run a credit check on you to open an account. And the fact that a $60 plan costs more than $60 by the time all of the taxes are assessed. Oh and any "activation fee" they charge. Plus you might pay sales tax on the full value of the phone even though you buy it at the subsidized price and then you might also pay sales tax on the ETF (depending on your state's laws). Other than that it's a pretty straightforward way to save yourself $40!

----------

Or you could just walk into an Apple Store and ask for a VZ phone "device only" on the 19th (or a few weeks later if you don't want to deal with the crowds and risk of it being out of stock) and pay $849 just like the T-mobile one.

I do agree that the VZ is slightly nicer to have for resale, but I would just buy it outright at the Apple Store rather than go through the hassle you proposed.

4. mac.cali macrumors 65816

This is what it would be on my family plan.

Verizon Initial Phone Payment: $399
    Verizon 15 days of data service (2gb): $15
    Verizon 15 days of voice service: $5
    Verizon ETF Fee: $350
    Verizon Activation: $35

Total: $804

T-Mobile: $849.00

There is no need to keep it for 30 days. You can cancel when it hits day 15 and they will charge you an EFT.

5. Xanith thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. I just wish Apple would allow you to pre-order unlocked full price phones on all carriers without having to go through all this rigmarole and guessing/hoping the t-mobile version is unlocked. Trying to get a phone from the Apple store near release is no fun.

6. Jleroy, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

Jleroy macrumors regular

Jleroy

Unlocked vs Verizon resale and question.

Re: resale. I just sold a ME302LL/A (64gb space grey 5s Apple unlocked) and a Verizon same ME347LL/A. 99% of the people out there list as factory unlocked if it's been sim unlocked and buyers don't seem to know the difference. Most think a Verizon phone is the same if you state unlocked. I don't think until it's more widely known that the unlocked Verizon makes any more difference to people than a carrier unlocked GSM resale-wise. I gave up my unlimited for the cheaper AT&T family share but now realizing it's not going to be any less $ to speak of when it's all said and done as I upgrade 2 lines every year. I think unless someone corrects me that the NEXT plan is the less $'s. Once you carrier unlock it unless you find the few buyers that know the difference when you go to sell, it doesn't make much difference. Also it was Nov 22nd I believe before Apple stated selling the unlocked outright.

Re: Unlocked. If you buy a T-Mobile and it tuns out locked, how do you get it unlocked without jail breaking.

7. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

if you already have verizon service and a live sim, if you put that sim in the tmo iPhone 6 it turns on the CDMA !!!!

thats pretty incredible.

u can't sign up for vzw using a non vzw iPhone
    u can't switch imeis to the new iPhone 6 tmo
    but if u just stick the vzw sim into a tmo iPhone it works
    crazy!!!

8. bwsteg macrumors 6502

This is news to me.. I was under the impression that you needed a verizon phone to work on verizon's network...

9. Jleroy macrumors regular

Jleroy

You do, the Space Gray Verizon iPhones ME347LL/A are factory unlocked, they work on all. The Space Gray ME302LL/A is the sim free Apple started selling in Nov 2013 will not work on Verizon.

10. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

yes this is true of the 5s, but it doesn't seem to be true with the 6

i put my vz sim in my brand new iPhone 6 (tmo) thinking i would get an error.
    surprisingly it worked. not only was i able to use LTE data, but voice calls worked using 1xrtt (2.5g) just like they do on my verizon iPhone 5.

i made test calls to Diamond Dan's Pro Wrestling Hotline (plug) and the calls went
    through. i also sent junk texts to My Coke rewards - short code 2653 and that also worked

11. Jleroy, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014

Jleroy macrumors regular

Jleroy

Rebate for old phone.

I did the month to month, about the same price as the early cancelation shenanigans, and then remembered about the trade in. I'm going to miss you old iphone 4, but hello $200.00. Only can be used at Verizon apparently is only drawback.