Verizon iPhone 6+ Unlocked or no?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Schimmy, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Schimmy macrumors newbie

I'm currently waiting for a TMO iPhone 6+, but the wait is too long. I checked on istocknow and there's currently the model of the iPhone that I want but it's a verizon.

I went to apple's website and chatted to a rep and he said that I cannot use a Verizon iPhone on TMO because it is locked to Verizon, and that Verizon supports CDMA not GSM.

Is this true? Because I'm really tired of waiting, and the Best Buy near me has the phone I want, and if I can just pop in a tmo sim and it'll work, I want to buy it asap. Also will the verizon version work internationally?

Thanks. :apple:

2. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

It's not true. All Verizon iPhones from the 5 on up are unlocked for GSM, both for domestic and international carriers.

3. Schimmy thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? So the Apple Rep wasn't telling accurate facts?

So I can buy a Verizon and use it on tmobile and internationally?

4. dcharleyultra, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014

dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

Verizon iPhone 6+ Unlocked or no?

Correct. You can do a search on this site for the same question and answer.

5. Scarphac3 macrumors regular

6. PsyOpWarlord macrumors 6502

PsyOpWarlord

Get the Verizon model.

I went to the Apple Store here in Colorado 2 days ago and purchased the PHONE 6 SILVER 128GB VERIZON, Part Number: MG612LL/A for full price ($849.99). They asked if I wanted to activate it and I told them no as I was not a Verizon customer and I was going to use my AT&T SIM in it.

I put the ATT SIM in the phone and it works without a hitch exactly as it should.

On the receipt it had the following:
    Verizon Account Information
    No Wireless Service Activation during iPhone Sale

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

There's a simple explanation: Apple doesn't support using a Verizon model with T-Mobile and therefore Apple Support won't tell you that it's compatible.

8. ag29 macrumors 6502

Verizon Iphones are the best because they are exactly like an unlocked AT&T or T-Mobile phone but with the added bonus of also working on Verizon's network.

9. co1f macrumors regular

Your statement is a bit misleading... they are exactly the same (same model number), so they all have the same radios in them to handle all the same carriers.

10. Brewc macrumors member

Ok if I buy the verizon 6+ and have it activated, I will be able to swap the SIM cards and use the verizon card for verizon service where Att currently has no towers?