Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmcnelly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Portsmouth, VA
My girlfriend is eligible to upgrade via 2 year contract to a new iPhone on Verizon. She had planned to just get the iPhone 5s (she has my old 4s). I offered to give her my 5s and pay the upgrade cost for a 6 and just activate it on my number when it arrives.

Is this possible? Anything I need to look out for if purchasing it this way? Would activating it on my number register it to me with Apple? Would I be able to purchase Applecare for it in my name? I guess this would be like if she bought one and gifted it to me, but I don't know if this would work.

mikeydooodie

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
My girlfriend is eligible to upgrade via 2 year contract to a new iPhone on Verizon. She had planned to just get the iPhone 5s (she has my old 4s). I offered to give her my 5s and pay the upgrade cost for a 6 and just activate it on my number when it arrives.

Is this possible? Anything I need to look out for if purchasing it this way? Would activating it on my number register it to me with Apple? Would I be able to purchase Applecare for it in my name? I guess this would be like if she bought one and gifted it to me, but I don't know if this would work.

go to the verizon store with your 5s and her. let her upgrade it to the 6 tell the customer service rep that you will be taking the 6 and take your 5s and put it on her line, they won't care the phone will be paid for and she will lose her unlimited data and put on an lte data package.

ronm99

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012

I believe that if your girlfriend buys the phone, you can just swap sim-cards. I don't think that Verizon needs anything else. (check with Verizon to make sure first). Verizon doesn't really care what you do with the phones ... they just care that you stay under contract which is how they make their money back.

As far as Applecare goes, it is transferable, so if your girlfriend gets Applecare, you will have it as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.