Verizon iPhone Announcement Underwhelming

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by soulreaver99, Jan 11, 2011.

1. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

It's good that people now have a choice to goto Verizon for an iPhone but...

1. No World Phone Capabilities
    2. No 4G/LTE
    3. No real difference in specs (expected)

Great news for people just waited to jump onto a better network but it's nothing really to write home about. Any thoughts?

2. icyfire macrumors 6502

Well as a Verizon user, I was thrilled along with other Verizon users, but I don't expect anyone else to really care. It wasn't meant to be overwhelming, hence why Verizon announced it and not Apple.

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Considering these rumors have been going on or 2/3 years, the fact that this announcement closes this loop, once and for all, is pretty overwhelming in itself IMO.

#2 & #3 on your list weren't really "expected" for the most part. I think #2, specifically, was the magic bullet everyone was hoping for. The lack of world capability is going to be a downer for some people though.

4. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

I agree w/ the post.. I was so excited till this morning and then announcement came.. I was like.. "that's it??"

Honestly, selling already almost year old hardware as new device is bit "underwhelming".

They should have at least bumped the cpu or added more memory.
    Also definitive answer on white iphone would have been exciting(either way).

Now, we really have no way of knowing till it gets close to june whether iphone 5 is coming out to verizon. This really sucks.

I was going to get iphone w/ 1 year upgrade but wanted some hardware bump along w/ some knowledge on iphone 5 status on verizon.
    We are still in the dark. Some way, it would have been good or better if iphone 5 just came out on verizon in june instead of iphone 4 feb.

5. zipster macrumors 6502

Well, there was really nothing else to say.

They aren't going to add any substantial new features just because it has a new carrier. They'll do that this summer.

6. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Almost a year old? Really? The iPhone 4 came out late June 2010, which means it is 6 months and some days old.... 6 months!

Since when did 6 months become "almost a year"?

7. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I disagree. Apple doesn't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater and if they did release a new iPhone with major hardware changes that would most likely piss of AT&T. Alot people are forgetting that even though Verizon is carrying the iPhone now. AT&T is still a partner of Apple and no matter the state of their relationship.

Apple wouldn't rock the boat with AT&T. I think that both VZW and AT&T will carry the same phones at the same time. I don't think there will be an LTE iPhone untill both carriers LTE networks are up and rolling.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

For me, the only disappointment is the fact that there is no GSM radio so the phone can't be used outside of the US.

9. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Exactly!

10. mrcribbs macrumors newbie

Me too, until I read the FAQ and they said no early upgrades! :mad:

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Depends on where you're going. Verizon's CDMA country list here.

I'm still disappointed that AT&T won't unlock the iPhone to be used with local SIMs from other countries. Kind of negates one of GSM's biggest features.

12. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

just wait for the Verizon iPhone rumor to be replaced with a Verizon iPhone 4G/LTE/World rumor.

13. thetexan macrumors 6502a

It's underwhelming because Apple users expect a big thing every single time. The last big Apple announcement was the one of iPhone 3G/2.0 with the iTunes app store, besides that each year has been some mild to moderate tweaks.

Learn to lower your expectations on Apple products. They're not going to give you groundbreaking every year. They basically gave people what I expected; the exact same thing they sell on a different carrier.

14. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Heh, I have mixed feelings as some one who has no plans to move (I am already under contract and I have no qualms with AT&T so no motivation to pay the money to change. Even when my contract is up, it would depend on what Verizon offered vs. AT&T. AT&T might win out if they have the more updated phone at the time long as they don't mess up my current plan cause easier to not change carriers and I'd rather have the more updated phone plus I like having phone+data at the same time, unless Verizon offers something really tempting over AT&T. And honestly, by the time my contract is up, Verizon might have better technology that solves the voice and data at the same time problem).

The bad:
    Maybe some of my friends/family with AT&T might move which will make me use more minutes cause most of the ones I call the most are on AT&T. Not a huge deal, I don't call much anyways.

The good:
    Even discounting the idea that AT&T's network might get better, this means the iphone gets more users which is always good for all iphone users cause more motivation for developers to make stuff for the iphone. So that's a huge plus right there whether you prefer AT&T or Verizon.

Competition for AT&T. This will help keep them motivated to offer decent plans hopefully as they no longer have a monopoly on the phone. Good for us AT&T users :).

Oh, and three of the people I call the most have iphones so if I really was crunched for minutes and didn't want to pay the higher minute plan, just try face timing them more ;).

So overall, even if you like AT&T and plan to stay, this is good for everyone.