Verizon iPhone antenna issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Amnak, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Amnak macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

The Verizon iPhone has the same antenna issue it's crazy, it's not just on the corner its in when held in the center too. I have a case right now it's A griffin case basically a bumber with a clear plastic back. I really don't want this case but I can't be dropping signal. Is there a way to be caseless. Do the invisible shield full body protectors take care of this?

2. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

You have to make sure you're not covering the bottom left black stripe. Maybe your pinky is still touching it even when you hold it "in the middle."

3. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nope even just holding it with to fingers does this, I get 3 bars in the house 4 outside with the case, without I get 1. I don't like this case because I can't completely swipe across the screen especially when moveing apps across the screen.

4. SlamJam12 macrumors regular

What about the Power Support screen protectors?

I wanted to get the crystal front and back film set. However, I could only get it on their website. Ground shipping is very expensive, almost the cost of the screen protector itself! I was wondering if that was any good or a better place to buy the front and back set of crystal film.

5. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

I think you need to start a thread because I have no idea.

It does seem to only happen in the left hand not all the time, which adds to the strangeness, it would be different if this hole phone wasn't glass and I wasn't scared of dropping it.

6. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I think you're exaggerating a little...

Just hold it normally and you should be fine :)

7. Los macrumors regular

Give SGP a try. I've been using them since launch and so far so good. Had to replace the two after 6-7 months or so. The complete set that has the front and back also has a sticker like protector that will go around the phone so it can help you with your antenna problem.

8. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

I wish I was them I wouldn't be posting this , i hope that was supposed to be a winky face as in " I'm kidding"
    The SGP is the one that's covered for life right,? And does anything thats platic stop the atunation ? Because the protector isn't that thick

9. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

People here are usually very defensive about the antenna issues. They'd rather deny it altogether if it means their beloved company maintains a not-garbage track record for reliability.

10. Remmnever macrumors member

I have tried this with my Verizon Iphone and I can't figure out how people are holding their phones to lose signal. I am left handed and have never had an issue.

I have also tried two cases. One is a scorpio (something like that) with a soft inner shell and hard outer shell. Then an iwave at&t soft case (mute button is partially covered but not an issue) and it works fine as well.

11. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

Trust me I'm not trying to start a flame war and I'm not getting changing phones because I'm madly in love with it, but if somethings an issue it needs to be adressed
    Funny because I'm right handed but I naturally use my phone in my left hand not only to talk but to text and surf on it. Trust me it's easy to replicate and I have excellent survive I can't imagine people in low service areas.

12. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

To each his own. Apple does have a better track record. Otherwise, the phone would not sell. Mine works great and it is on the ATT network.

13. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

After antennagate? Nope.

14. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

So which single phone has sold more than the iPhone?

15. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I think you guys are paranoid about this antenna "issue". I have 4 bars in my apartment, and I cannot get the signal to drop no matter how I hold the phone. Any "death grip" or covering the antennas, any position I try, nothing changes at all.

The only time my signal changes is by location, not by how I hold my phone.

16. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

Like I said I WISH I was paranoid , it's possible that it happens to you and you just don't notice . If you have 4 bars chances are your dropping to 2 or 3 in which case it doesnt matter. I latterly thought people making these threads were crazy and now here I am. Do you use a case? Are you on AT&T or Verizon? Like I said earlier you don't even need to squeeze it to can just set it in your palm.

17. Geffen macrumors 6502

I have a Verizon iphone 4 and have a case on mine i haven't haven't had any dropped calls and i hold my phone just as i would on any other phone that i've used in the past.

18. BriChi macrumors 6502

thats why

guys, take a video and post it :) Mine easily drops too in my house, I have 3-4 bars, simply holding it in my left hand makes the bars drop and cripples the data (unless i am on wifi) I hate having a case too so I deal with it which sucks. I even have lucky labs wraps around the antenna and it doesn't help at all

19. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

If you don't like cases, get something like Ghost Armor or Invisible Shield. Make sure you get one that covers the antenna bands. I have one on my iPhone and have not had a signal drop ever with it. Also, I am left handed and grip the phone tightly, so I'd say I'd be the perfect person to experience antennagate. Currently, I am using the phone with Ghost Armor and an Apple Bumper, mostly because I like the look of the bumper a lot. I have never dropped a call on my VZW iPhone, but in 2 years with a Blackberry Storm on VZW I probably dropped 20.

20. BriChi macrumors 6502

I have a wrap on it now but it doenst cove the ledge of the antenna just the side, so if its in your hand, it still is touching part of the antenna

ill look at the other wraps to, maybe they fully cover the antenna

in the image below, the wrap covers the antenna on the right image perfectly but on the left image you can see there is still antenna exposed that can touch your skin and short out

[​IMG]

21. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

then take you case off. This is a known issue and to say you don't have it is just plain out lying. Everyone with a IP4 has this issue and I do mean everyone. To solve the problem is to get a case or a bumper. I can hold my Verizon Iphone and make it drop to 1-2 bars and that's about it and my calls don't get dropped.

22. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

I didnt believe in antennagate until I heard about the dismal verizon iphone4 sales

the iphone 4 is flawed

23. Geffen, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011

Geffen macrumors 6502

I disagree with the iphone 4 being flawed since everyone is not experiencing the same issue. I haven't had a dropped call with my Verizon iphone 4.

24. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

Like I said I WISH I was paranoid , it's possible that it happens to you and you just don't notice . If you have 4 bars chances are your dropping to 2 or 3 in which case it doesnt matter. I latterly thought people making these threads were crazy and now here I am. Do you use a case? Are you on AT&T or Verizon? Like I said earlier you don't even need to squeeze it to can just set it in your palm.

25. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

No VZW antenna issue here. Too bad the OP is having trouble, but for me this phone has been 100x better than its AT&T brother.