Verizon iPhone at Macworld?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CaryMacGuy, Oct 29, 2008.

1. CaryMacGuy macrumors 6502a

CaryMacGuy

I have a thought...
    When the iPhone was originally introduced back in 2007, it is widely known that Verizon was approached first by Apple to be the sole carrier for it in the US. It is also widely known that Verizon turned them down due to all the restrictions that Apple had on the device (only sell in Verizon stores and Apple Stores, activate on iTunes, etc). Apple has since made changes to that policy and it seems that they are beginning to allow third party retailers to the party. Do you think given that Apple will bring the iPhone to Verizon (and maybe Sprint) at Macworld 2009? Thoughts?

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

MULTIPLE threads on this. NO! Apple has a contract with AT&T for another 2 years I think it is.

3. CaryMacGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

CaryMacGuy

You don't think that Apple can buy out that contract?

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

They could. but it'd cost a lot of money since AT&T is getting a lot of money by selling the iPhone. All of the users that switched to AT&T in '07 because of the iPhone+All of the users who switched to AT&T in '08 because of iPhone 16GB+All the users who switched to AT&T because of iPhone 3G= AT&T being the nation's widest network. so, I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't want to spend all that money to buy out a contract. plus, Apple would have to make a totally different phone because of CDMA issues, instead of GSM. it is possible...but HIGHLY unlikely.

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

It would NOT be in either of their best interest.

iPhone boosting ATT = No Sell
    iPhone boosting Apple = No Buy

If Apple buys out or does anything to get out and sell elsewhere, the next company to buy in would be weary that they might do it again. It's not smart business.

Unless ATT has a stake in something, there might be a work around or a collaboration. Otherwise dream on.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It's always possible, but you'll likely see some rumor posted of some work toward a CDMA phone prior to that announcement.

As for people who yammer on about contracts, Clemson and Tommy Bowden had a contract. He's not coaching for them now and is getting paid to not work. Contracts mean bunk, especially when one party has a crapload of money. If Apple could make more with Verizon, especially enough to more than offset the, well, ETF, they'd do it.

However, my bet is they won't. Apple will "perfect" the iPhone before venturing to other carriers. Call it the MobileMe lesson. Stuff like MMS and cut & paste is on their little checklist before moving to Verizon and Sprint.

7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I'll say it again...

NO.

You'd hear about a CDMA iPhone being developed. You'd also would have already seen people reporting that they've seen a different build of MobileSafari floating around in their logs.

8. CaryMacGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

CaryMacGuy

Well I think just like Intel Mac OS X, Apple has a CDMA "just in case" iPhone sitting around and when Steve says the word, it is about ready to go.
    Also in 2007, Apple successfully was able to keep the iPhone under wraps. Maybe this is the same thing.

I just think that Verizon and Sprint are also big players and also if you remember, when the iPod was new in 2001 and 2002, it was Mac only. When they introduced Windows support, sales for the device went through the roof. If one sees an LG Dare or Samsung Instict with a (lets face it) ugly interface next to a shiny iPhone with all its great features (and hopefully more by that time), people will see it as a no brainer. The fact is that try as they might, no one has been able to create a device as easy to use and fun to use as the iPhone.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Duplicating the iPhone and its UI would be dirt simple. Heck, people did so using browsers within a week or two of its debut. The whole point of its UI is that it's super simple and has nothing difficult about it.

But no one wants to do just that. Everyone's trying to add more functionality to their phones. Perhaps too much more.

10. BLACK MAC macrumors 6502

It's already out! Drive to your furthest Verizon Wireless store and check it out! :D

11. pavvento macrumors 6502

Point 1: Sprint is not a big player

Point 2: You can't compare Mac and Windows Market Share to AT&T and Verizon. AT&T have pretty much the same amount of customers, which is not the case with Windows and Mac, AND it is a lot cheaper and easier to switch cell phone providers for a product than it is to switch computers for a product.

12. MCRunning macrumors 6502

That doesn't make any sense. The next company who buys in would be weary that Apple might buy out again? Why would this be the case if now Apple can sell the phone on a variety of networks and not just be limited to AT&T? All about opportunity cost.

13. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

14. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

No one knows exactly when the exclusive Apple deal with ATT ends.
    It is believed it was extended into 2010. But after that I think it
    will be with other carriers. Maybe Apple will buy Verizon by then.
    They'll have enough cash lol.

15. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Other than selling it outside Apple and AT&T stores, there has been no changes. And with the advertising for both companies, it would be silly to make any change. Apple would lose more than it would gain.

16. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Also look at it this way...

Verizon has their flagship phone coming out very soon with the BlackBerry Storm. Do you think they want the iPhone so soon after releasing that?

Also, if Apple were developing a CDMA phone it would've been leaked by the FCC or another source that would be supplying the components. Cell phones have different regulations on them than computers, which Apple could build as many test models as they want to without having to report it. If they wanted to use a CDMA phone and test with it they would have to get approval from the FCC.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I don't see this happening.

18. calvy macrumors 65816

Sigh, this again?

Verizon is going to LTE for it's 4G network, which is a GSM based service. I can't see why Apple would waste the time putting a CDMA iphone out there for the interim just to ditch it when verizon goes LTE. Especially since this would require buying out the AT&T contract.

I say the more likely scenario is that the contract with AT&T will sunset right around the time that Verizon goes over the global standard LTE, and then Apple can start selling these things contract free and provider neutral.

19. CaryMacGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

CaryMacGuy

I think that I posted this out of frustration with Verizon's current offerings. I was at the local VZ store and there was absolutely nothing that made me want to ditch my Razr V3m. Lets see what happens with the Blackberry Storm. If they don't come out with a Verizon iPhone this year, then I guess I am waiting until they do. I don't plan to leave Verizon as they provide the best coverage in my area.