Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dissizitt

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2010
A person is selling a iPhone 4 Bad ESN on craigslist for $300 and I was wondering if I purchase it, can I restore it and activate it? Since it is ESN I am not sure how the process works.

I know for a fact with AT&T iPhones you just slip any sim card to activate the phone but don't know anything about the Verizon iPhones.

PS I want the GPS feature thats why I rather get an bad esn iphone then a iTouch

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
A person is selling a iPhone 4 Bad ESN on craigslist for $300 and I was wondering if I purchase it, can I restore it and activate it? Since it is ESN I am not sure how the process works.
The ESN is hard coded in the phone. It's probably a lost or stolen iPhone that's been blacklisted by Verizon, so you won't be able to use it.

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
i got screwed over on CL like this.

the person had just bought the phone, and had not activated it yet. sold to me for 575...then they reported it stolen. so verizon gives them a new one, and they bad esn this one. luckily a dev bought it for half of that.

i just don't use CL to buy phones anymore. its worth the extra 50-100 to get the real thing at the store. piece of mind is priceless.

bassett700

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2009
Dingus, VA
i got screwed over on CL like this.

the person had just bought the phone, and had not activated it yet. sold to me for 575...then they reported it stolen. so verizon gives them a new one, and they bad esn this one. luckily a dev bought it for half of that.

i just don't use CL to buy phones anymore. its worth the extra 50-100 to get the real thing at the store. piece of mind is priceless.

I prevent this by meeting the seller at a Verizon store and activating it on the spot. People think they're safe when the simply call Verizon to confirm the ESN is clean. If you don't activate on the sport, nothing prevents the seller from reporting it stolen the moment he walks away (besides morals).

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
or a unpaid bill Verizon will simply turn the phone off. The best way too buy any phone off cl to meet them at the cellular store. That way you are save and all transfers can be made at that time. And you can feel more comfortable with your buy. I honestly think that's the best way to buy a used phone.

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
I prevent this by meeting the seller at a Verizon store and activating it on the spot. People think they're safe when the simply call Verizon to confirm the ESN is clean. If you don't activate on the sport, nothing prevents the seller from reporting it stolen the moment he walks away (besides morals).

i did this. it was clean cuz he just bought it and had not activated it yet as i stated. nice lil scam.

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
You didnt do this.
If you activated it on the spot at the VZ store under your account you wouldnt have that problem.

lol...i DID activate right on the spot. worked. actually took a week, then verizon killed it, saying it was reported stolen. nothing i could do.

i went back to the verizon store, and wanted them to go through the surveillance, but they denied me that. f'n scammer got me.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
lol...i DID activate right on the spot. worked. actually took a week, then verizon killed it, saying it was reported stolen. nothing i could do.

i went back to the verizon store, and wanted them to go through the surveillance, but they denied me that. f'n scammer got me.

Sorry to hear that Rick.... Good lesson learn for all of us. I never know that they can deactivate your phone after been with them for while. I guess when they activated your phone, they did not change the owner name of the phone into your name and whoever was registered to that phone can call in to report it is stolen.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Sorry to hear that Rick.... Good lesson learn for all of us. I never know that they can deactivate your phone after been with them for while. I guess when they activated your phone, they did not change the owner name of the phone into your name and whoever was registered to that phone can call in to report it is stolen.

That's what I was thinking too.
If that was the case then everyone would be selling cdma phones and then reporting them stolen a week later. There's gotta be a way to prevent this.

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
i was shocked. i had my call escalated many times with VZ. they activated my phone for god's sake...their fault!

it was a couple too, round 25 -30 yrs old, they had the VZ bag, with receipt and everything, a nice case. i got scammed hardcore, and im a paramedic who knows BS when i see it. was def taken back on this one...and thank god i got $250 back from teh dev that bought the brick.

----------

Wow I always though that was the best way.. I figured the store would check it out fing scammers.. :mad:

labman, atleast at my local VZ store, they are morons and only care about the sale...=commission.

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
if you have a bad esn phone, and take it to apple for a replacement, do they replace it with another bad ESN iPhone?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
if you have a bad esn phone, and take it to apple for a replacement, do they replace it with another bad ESN iPhone?

They wont do it if you tell them it has a bad ESN.
But I heard people bringing them in and saying there's a hardware issues with the phone or battery sucks or something else and the replacement they received had a good ESN.

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
They wont do it if you tell them it has a bad ESN.
But I heard people bringing them in and saying there's a hardware issues with the phone or battery sucks or something else and the replacement they received had a good ESN.
This is true. My friend got scammed on craigslist and he went to apple and they exchanged it for a new one. Walked out the store and says he activated it at the sprint store in the mall right after the exchange. He told them something about the battery being bad and they bought it and they exchanged it for him. This is kinda grimy though. Soon enough they will catch on.

vonWachtstain

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2011
I would not recommend it. If apple finds out they might charge you for the replacement plus tax. It happened to buddy of mine but he got it fully knowing phone has bad IMEI but he figured it's a cheap phone and apple will replace it. It worked but two weeks after he got email from apple they charge him $199 plus tax.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I would not recommend it. If apple finds out they might charge you for the replacement plus tax. It happened to buddy of mine but he got it fully knowing phone has bad IMEI but he figured it's a cheap phone and apple will replace it. It worked but two weeks after he got email from apple they charge him $199 plus tax.

How would they charge him for something having no idea who he is or where to charge him at?
If you just walk in there having someone elses bad ESN iphone that you bought off ebay and replaced at an apple store how would they track you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.