Verizon iPhone costs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paulold, Feb 2, 2011.

1. paulold macrumors 6502

I bought the 3GS when it came out, paying the regular price. I then bought the iPhone 4 when it came out but I had to pay extra for it since I didn't yet qualify for an upgrade and I didn't want to wait till the two years were up.

Now the Verizon iPhone is coming out and I would love to switch to Verizon. It's the best service provider in my area (Washington, DC). Does anyone know how much it would cost me to do so, roughly? I imagine it would be a lot since I would have to break my AT&T contract early.

But here's the thing. I'm going to also want to upgrade to the iPhone 5, assuming it's available for Verizon. If that comes out in the summer, what's all this going to cost me??

2. jacollins macrumors 6502a

http://support.vzw.com/faqs/iphone/iphone_faq.html

See:
    1) I currently have an iPhone 4 with AT&T. Can I keep my existing version of iPhone 4?
    3) How much will iPhone 4 cost?

For iPhone 5, no one knows, and won't know till closer to release. Main expectation that I have seen is that it will be full price.

3. paulold thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you! I had not heard about the Verizon Trade In program. According to what I just read there and on AT&T, I would have to pay $325 minus $10 for each month after June 2010 (which comes to $245 I think), plus $299 for the new Verizon iPhone and I can get $285 for my current phone. That's a total of $259 to upgrade to the Verizon iPhone.

Then who knows what Verizon will make me do to upgrade to the Verizon iPhone 5 if it comes out this summer.

OK - so cost might not be an immediate deterrent but I'm still not sure about the whole no phone and data at the same time thing. Will I miss that feature. I have no idea if I am even using it much. But I do know that my reception via AT&T totally sucks.

4. jacollins macrumors 6502a

Verizon's trying to make it easy by offsetting the ETF with that trade in. You could probably get more off Craig's List or EBay. Then again, you might not (or might get scammed).

Either way, you'll have to wait till Feb 10 since you are not a Verizon customer currently.

5. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Based on your unique situation simultaneous voice and data means nothing if you can't access either one. If you can't get either on a reliable basis with AT&T then the choice should be clear.

I have AT&T in Florida and voice and data works for me so I chose AT&T.

6. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I would just hold tight for another 4 months. You have already made it this far with your 3gs and ip4 what is another 4 months.

This way you will save another $40 off your ETF you will get an iPhone 5 and switch to Verizon all at the same time.

7. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

Don't you have to pay taxes for electronics purchases in DC?
    Here, in Texas, the taxes would be an extra $24.67 on a $299.00 phone.