Verizon iPhone- Facebook push notifications?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Edge171, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Edge171 macrumors member

Hey guys. SORRY if there is a thread about this...couldnt find anything, but are anyone's facebook notifications random? Sometimes i will get a push notification, other times ill open the app and see 3 notifications that i never got pushed.. anyone else?

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

First, the AT&T-ness or Verizon-ness of the phone makes no difference at all. None.

Now, with that said, it's been discussed before that the Facebook app's notifications are very hit and miss. Happens to me all the time, too, going back at least a year now.

Facebook notifications on Android also never quite worked right. The only phone that had reliable Facebook notifications was the Blackberry, though this was because it actually used email notifications and pulled them out of your inbox instead of using a separate notification system like iOS and Android seems to do.

3. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Despite the Facebook app being out for a while now, it is still relatively buggy. It sucks bad.

4. Edge171 thread starter macrumors member

5. MarximusMG macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

Mine is also exactly like this. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Been having the same problems with Twitter as well.

6. trizzil macrumors regular

trizzil

yup same here. my facebook notification for ip4 is a hit and miss.. sometimes i'll get it and other times i won't... doesn't really bother me..

on android, i didn't get any notification at all..

7. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

Yep, same here.... but it's definitely not Verizon-iPhone related. Since push notifications are unreliable, I just have Facebook send me an e-mail for specific types of alerts. With one push e-mail address that is mainly used for this, I can usually tell when it's Facebook sending me an alert.

8. zenio macrumors 6502

RIM has proven it's possible. Now it's up to Apple to get with the program & build a good notification in the iPhone.

9. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

10. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

Facebook notifications are very frustrating. At least the iPhone app is better than the one for Android. Just wish notifications would be reliable.

11. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I downloaded the Boxcar app and notifications seem much more reliable now, though sometimes there is still a delay. The only true reliable way I've found is to use e-mail notifications via my MobileMe address.

12. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I downloaded the Boxcar app and notifications seem much more reliable now, though sometimes there is still a delay. The only true reliable way I've found is to use e-mail notifications via my MobileMe alias address. In this way, you can set up a special e-mail address just for Facebook.

EDIT: OOPS, sorry about the duplicate post!

13. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

The Facebook App is made by Facebook not Apple, Apple improving it's own notification system is a subject for a different thread

14. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

I would just like to get a single facebook notification. I'll get emails or sms, but no push notification.
    I've gone into settings-->facebook-->push notifications--> all switched on
    settings-->notifications-->facebook-->sounds, alerts, and badges turned on.

I'm not sure what else to do. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app but it doesn't make a difference.

15. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

damn hope my girlfriend doesn't notice this. Her Palm Pre always got the messages on time.

16. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Did you check your settings on Facebook.com?

17. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Hit or miss here as well...I find it very frustrating. Amazing how after so much time and people constantly complaining it still hasn't been fixed.

18. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

As far as I can tell, there are only settings for SMS texting. I can't seem to find anything related to the iPhone app push notifications.

19. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Yeah, never mind. There used to be mobile app settings on faceboko.com but not any more. I haven't looked in a while and I can see they're not there.

20. cherry13bomb macrumors member

The absolute only thing I miss about my Blackberry Curve....

21. sweethomesc77 macrumors newbie

Same issues...still

Glad I found this forum. I'm having the same issues on my pre-order V iPhone as well. All notifications are on, even deleted the app and reinstalled it. nothing. A preview will come across my screen while its locked but when I slide the bar to unlock, I still have to open the app.

Other than that one small issue, I love the phone. I have an aol email and those emails don't get pushed thru. any other emails that do get pushed thru automatically? I don't want to have to set my notifications for that to every 15mins or half hour and drain my battery.

If anyone hears of a fix or an update coming, by all means please post it here...much appreciated.

22. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

MobileMe and Yahoo! mail support instant push mail, as do email boxes set up as Exchange accounts (certain business accounts and Gmail can be configured as Exchange). Others are Fetch, like AOL, not Push.