Verizon Iphone GPS issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by djinn, Jun 1, 2011.

1. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Switched from ATT iphone to Verizon iphone and noticed the GPS is lost within a few seconds of use. It will return in about 20 secs. Was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Any help is appreciated.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try a restore and setup as new.
    If it still does it have it replaced by Apple.

3. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

4. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

So i did a restore and setup the phone as a new one in case the backup was hosed. Went out this morning for a quick drive with MotionX and still have loss of gps within seconds. I did open My Postion with MotionX and could see the gps signal go up and down within every minute.

For fun I shut off the data to see if that would be interfering, same issue. I got the phone last weekend.....

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, it's defective.
    Get it exchanged at Apple.

6. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

Sigh... Not what I wanted to hear. :( I did call Apple support (first time ever) and explained my issue. I was informed that they will only support the google maps app and not the third party app. In order to get proper support the problem would need to be impacting the google maps app.

I imagine if this was a major issue, more people would be experiencing this problem. I'll schedule an appointment with the Genius today and see what they say.

Any other test you can think of before I go to Apple?

7. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

Just had a buddy try his and it did the samething. Sigh...

8. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

So I did a quick test and drove around using the google maps. The blue dot was dead on which lane I was in etc.. So it almost appears that the Third Party GPS software needs better interfacing with the Qualcomm GPS chip.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, sounds like the app sucks.
    Try another GPS navigation program if you can.
    I read a few reviews on the MotionX and there's more people complaining that the particular app loses GPS signal every few minutes.

10. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

I tried Navigon and it will lose GPS accuracy within 5m (little banner). TomTom complained about poor GPS accuracy.

I emailed MotionX with this info to see what they say. I'm going to send an email to Navigon and TomTom to see if they have any input.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Weird, I been using Navigon on my i4 since last Summer and never a problem.
    Make sure when you use it in the car it near the window or has a clear view to the sky. Also if you're indoors in buildings or houses it will not always lock in GPS.

12. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

I've tried using the phone in my window holder and holding it near the windshield. :( I'll wait and see what the vendors say before I go to the apple store.

13. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

This is what MotionX replied with:

"Thanks for contacting the MotionX team. MotionX-GPS Drive is passive during the signal acquisition and reception. The iPhone's iOS handles all of it. We receive the exact same GPS reception/signal that is used by the iPhone's native map client. If MotionX-GPS Drive is unable to receive a GPS signal, it's because your iPhone isn't providing MotionX-GPS with location data. It may appear as if other programs are receiving a GPS signal, but they may be locating your position using cell tower triangulation instead. For example, the native Google Maps application will show a static blue dot to identify your location using network triangulation even when GPS is not available.

We have seen that problems can arise if a cell tower is incorrectly mapped by your service provider, this issue is more pervasive with Verizon iPhone users. Let's say they incorrectly map a cell tower that's in Oregon to be in Texas. Now everyone is Oregon who's trying to acquire a GPS signal is either shown they are in Texas (based on the tower identifier) or they are unable to acquire a GPS signal because the iPhone is listening for the wrong satellites.
    The short term fix was for users to turn off their 3G service. Then the GPS signal was acquired quickly. The same problem can arise if a WiFi access point is incorrectly mapped to the wrong location in Skyhook's database. If their database shows the access point is in Santa Cruz, but someone moves and takes the access point to Utah, they may have trouble acquiring a GPS signal while in proximity to the access point until the location is updated in Skyhook's database.

As for why the native maps app works, I can only speculate Apple doesn't show when a signal is lost immediately in the map app as we do.
    I hope this information helped. Please contact me if I can assist you with anything else."

14. libertysat macrumors regular

fwiw
    I use the GPS Location app and so far it has been dead nuts on every time
    My work requires I capture the coordinates for the sites I work at - wireless ISP

First few times I used app I compared it to my ole Garmin hand held
    They displayed exactly same

Only difference was the Garmin took a >minute to boot and fix position
    My v iphone had it instantly as I always have GPS enabled

And no chance the phone is guessing off tower triangulation - many places I go do not see 3 towers at same time, very rural Arizona

15. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

So from what the tech said, Verizon cell data hurts GPS accuracy due to incorrect tower mapping. Sounds a little odd. So in order to use GPS without having issues, I need to disable Cell Data. Which means, I would need to use TomTom or Navigon but can't utilize the traffic and POIs. Also means I can't use MotionX or any other data dependant apps. Wow! :eek:

16. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I know on android they had really specific options for location services. For example they had an option that would disable location over cellular but keep the GPS and obviously the cell data connection active. I used it a few times when my GPS became so messed up from cell tower triangulation messing up with GPS and even WIFI location...also skyhook had my routers completely wrong location wise in their data base but I emailed google and it was fixed.

17. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

Yeah, sounds like Apple needs to fix the triangulation on the Verizon Iphone4. Maybe add some logic that once you are located via triangulation to only use Satellite location afterwards.

I don't mean to make a big deal about this. ;)

18. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

Update!

Just wanted to post an update. So I ended up going to the Apple store and spoke with a Genius. I explained to him what I as experiencing and all the troubleshooting steps that were taken. I asked if there were any Verizon Iphone users working and there was, one! He went over and asked if he had any issues with GPS or if he has heard of anyone that did, none.

The Apple Genius came back and said it was up to me if I wanted to switch out my device. I expressed my concern that if I switch it out, I fear getting a device that had bad pixels etc... He told not to worry about that, he'll get me all fixed up.

So to end this thread and hope to help others, the replacement hasn't had the issue. I drove all around town with MotionX and not one signal loss.

My apologies to AppleJuiced for not taking action with his advice and getting my device replaced. I am going to email MotionX with this update and inform them that it wasn't Verizon fault but only a hardware issue.

19. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

There is an actual software bug related to this as well. A good number of users were tracking it in another thread shortly after the launch. At least with 4.2.8, I was still seeing the issue, but with 5.0b1 I'm not. Another piece of info to chew on.

20. kicko macrumors 65816

I cant really say i had any issues with the GPS on mine at all.

21. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

Upgraded to 4.2.8 and haven't had any issues.

22. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

I'd be curious what the modem firmware version is and when the device was purchased (launch, X weeks later, something like that).

This was something that was common on the first revision of the modem firmware in GPS apps like TomTom/Navigon/Magellan/Garmin with various symptoms where you'd have lock, lose it, get it back, etc. TomTom was especially annoying because it could lead to missed directions if you were already near a turn you needed to make (0.5 miles or so).

Getting a one-time lock in say, Maps, Where To? and so on was usually no problem. It only showed up in turn-by-turn apps.