Verizon iPhone has relocated buttons, might require new cases

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by SESpy, Jan 11, 2011.

1. SESpy macrumors regular

SESpy

According to Engadget the buttons have been slightly moved down and the phone might need new redesigned cases...
    what do you think?

source

2. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Wow... That's bad news for case manufacturers. I bet they were hoping not to have to make any changes to their cases until iPhone 5.

3. Pomeless macrumors regular

They should do alright if the 6 million are in a spendy mood.

4. obyte macrumors regular

Not just for manufacturers :(

Vendors are feeling the pain just as much. It's such a crappy situation they just made.

5. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

im sure the case makers wish it would have stayed the same but they just have to tweek there molds and machines and pump out a few million cases to make iphone users happy. makers will be happy im sure.

6. obyte macrumors regular

This isn't exactly an easy thing to do for everyone. New cases haven't even shown up on the market yet so I think this came out of nowhere and mfg's weren't prepared for it.

7. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

There are quite a few members in MR that have dozens of cases for their iPhone 4. I pity them the most if they're going to jump ship to Verizon and have to rebuild their entire case collection again :D

And it will be quite an annoyance when reading/viewing case reviews only to hear, "No, this is for the Verizon iPhone, not the AT&T iPhone."

8. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

With the large amount of ATT iPhones already out there I think it is going to be the reverse. :p

9. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

It seems like only the cases with specific button placements will be affected. Cases that have open cutouts for the vibrate and volume buttons I don't think will be affected.

10. JM2 macrumors member

What about when shopping for a case? This is going to be a MESS at the retail level for the confused consumer. Two versions of everything with a small disclaimer at the bottom saying "for Verizon iPhones Only". And lots of returned cases, with people saying "the buttons don't fit my case for some reason"... oh sorry you got the wrong case because that is an AT&T case. Going to be plenty of the WTF moments at the return desk of Best Buy or at the kiosk in the mall.

I can't believe Apple couldn't find a way to make sure the buttons didn't move. This really goes against their standard KISS (keep it simple stupid) principals of hardware & software design.

11. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I thought the same thing. All of a sudden retailers need to devote twice as much space to iPhone 4 cases. Crappy situation for them. Fortunately it should only last a few months (or a year at most), and then the next iPhone should resolve back into one model and this issue will disappear.

12. TigerBabe macrumors 6502

Which means there will be no iphone 5 this year. We will get the updated iphone 4 kinda like they did with the 3gs.

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

yes every AT&T customer is running to Verizon. you have freedom now be happy pick your carrier and your phone. ;)

14. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I think that most case companies will not make Verizon iPhone 4 cases only but instead start to produce their cases to fit both iPhone 4's. That would be the smart thing to do.

15. LeroyTheGreat38 macrumors member

I'm looking at getting the Incase Snap or Incipio Feather so hopefully the slight button change doesn't affect these cases.

I just found this case on Youtube though that I might look into. It's the Caze zero 5, but I'm not a fan of the colors they offer.

16. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Yes, I think it was a little weird on Apple's part to change some of the buttons around, but, oh well.

17. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

18. mantic macrumors 6502a

lol.. I dunno about this bunch :p

19. boddiz macrumors newbie

20. black743 macrumors 6502

If those leaked photos were the real deal, and I suspect they were because they were spot on, then the next design will have this style as well. The photos were exactly like the Verizon model, only with a sim card slot...which means it could be the next version for AT&T. It does make sense, they made the antenna better for the Verizon phone, requiring moving the buttons down a hair....so they will likely bring that over to the next version of AT&T as well.

21. lgreenberg macrumors 6502

lgreenberg

That makes sense for cases that use cutouts for the area around the vibrate switch and volume buttons.

But for cases like the Apple Bumper, which has buttons which try to replicate the actual buttons on the phone, this won't work.

The entire line of SGP Neo Hybrid series cases is a good example as well.

22. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

i think that att is going to follow with this new antenna design with the volume buttons new position soon, they said that they had to do the new design because of the cdma but i dont believe that, i think that is there way of saying we wanted to improve the antenna(death grip) and the next release will most likely have the same for att. unless they go with a whole me phone design for lte, who knows im sticking with att.

23. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

On Att people complain about the lower left corner. As far as I see that corner has not changed on the CDMA one. Unless Apple makes that corner different people will complain.